Sale Barn/PG Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I purchased a couple of bred cows at a local Sale Barn on Wednesday (March 26, 2003). Since the cows where bred I placed them in a small pasture with a couple of heifers. Late Saturday the cow that was represented as "palpated bred 8 months safe to calf" had gone off into a small wooded area by herself. This morning (Sunday) when I went to check on her she was standing in the creek and "grunting" as if in pain. I called my Vet and then got her loaded and to his clinic. He said the calf was dead inside of her and that she was to weak to do a "c-section" and he gave her a shot to induce labor. He said he hoped that he would be able to remove the calf tomorrow morning, but was not sure that she would make it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a common problem with purchasing at the sale barn? I have sold at the sale barn before, but never purchased there. In past I ave purchased cattle from individuals but I am having a hard time finding any cattle for sale from private owners at a fair price in the area. Thank you in advance for your responses.

[email protected]

Sorry to hear about your problem...:( My personal opinion is that any sale barn purchases should be considered with both eyes and ears open. Some sellers take good stock there (they need the money quick or whatever); others dump their culls and other problems there. Can't always tell what is going on with an animal just by looking at one. Reputable breeders selling at private treaty is usually the best insurance. What do you consider a "good" price? Where are you located?

[email protected]

> I purchased a couple of bred cows
> at a local Sale Barn on Wednesday
> (March 26, 2003). Since the cows
> where bred I placed them in a
> small pasture with a couple of
> heifers. Late Saturday the cow
> that was represented as
> "palpated bred 8 months safe
> to calf" had gone off into a
> small wooded area by herself. This
> morning (Sunday) when I went to
> check on her she was standing in
> the creek and "grunting"
> as if in pain. I called my Vet and
> then got her loaded and to his
> clinic. He said the calf was dead
> inside of her and that she was to
> weak to do a "c-section"
> and he gave her a shot to induce
> labor. He said he hoped that he
> would be able to remove the calf
> tomorrow morning, but was not sure
> that she would make it. Has this
> happened to anyone else? Is this a
> common problem with purchasing at
> the sale barn? I have sold at the
> sale barn before, but never
> purchased there. In past I ave
> purchased cattle from individuals
> but I am having a hard time
> finding any cattle for sale from
> private owners at a fair price in
> the area. Thank you in advance for
> your responses.

you have to use alot of caution at cattle auctions. it is a good idea to go early and watch them unload too. if you can find cattle from individuals it is worth a premium price. dun is correct on what you will find at the auction especially when it comes to cows. there are lot of traders.

[email protected]

I'll agree that you will generally have a better chance of getting better stock by going private treaty. How much better is the question. Is a great cow worth $50 more than a good cow? Sure. What about $500? Or $750, or more? Not in my book, but everybody has to draw the line where it fits their own needs and goals.

To answer your question, no. This is not a common problem with purchasing at a salebarn.

Craig-TX

I wanted to thank everyone for the responses. It feels like a family on this board. The vet called this morning to tell me the cow didn't make it. I went and picked her up so I could dispose of her properly. I called the sale barn after the vet called me and they told me they would check on it and get back to me. That was 9:15 A.M. and it is now a little after 7P.M. and they haven't called as of yet. In answer to where I'm located, south central Texas, the sale barn was in Guadalupe County. I have been finding prices of $1000 for a cow/calf pair in this area, not registered, just commercial cross bred. I had paid $550 for the cow I lost, she was represented as "palpated 8 months safe to calf". As I said, this was my first purchase at the "sale barn", I have sold at this barn in the past. Maybe getting burned first time out you learn a lesson, so I guess I'll just keep watching all of the newspapers and listening to the "trading post" on the radio.

I purchased a couple of bred cows
> your responses.

[email protected]

Sorry that your cow didn't make it. As Forrest Gump (and others) said "S _ _ _ happens". Seriously though, she may have truly been "safe in calf" when the guy at the sale barn palpated her. IMHO, unless you are a real experienced buyer I think it is a good idea not to try to pick up animals at the weekday sale barn auctions. Granted, sometimes there are some good animals vailable such as in times of drought, small estates that can't arrange for a private sale, people losing their lease, etc. But I think you will be much better off if you try to purchase cattle from the well establisehed breeders that sell, year in and year out, at the spring and fall "replacement" sales. You will be able to really look the cattle over at your leisure, and in many cases you will be able to talk to the breeder. These guys generally don't try to unload a bunch of substandard animals as they are trying to maintain a reputation and the folks promoting the sale don't want a lot of "junk" in there either (all of the above GENERALLY SPEAKING).

Ditto on sympathy for your lost cow. Tough break to handle. Yes, a "knowledgeable" cattle person along with an "honest" Vet can usually select a "good" or better animal at a sale barn. Otherwise, it is "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware). My personal method for purchasing new stock is to if all humanly possible to visit their facility and see the quality of their infrastructure (no trash in stock areas, clean facility, fences in good repair, stock looks happy and healthy). These "quality" features all reflect (probably) the seller's "care" of the animals. [Sidebar: when I was in Army basic training-- the D.I. only checked the polishing on the BACK of our belt buckles--he said, "Troop...if you polished the BACK of the buckle, I know you did the front also." Also, I want to see and visit a breeder's website with pictures. All of this is why I would never but a dog at a puppy mill or a pet store... enuf said. :)

[email protected]

>She may very well have been "safe to calve"- however, what was she bred to? Sounds like a large birthweight bull, and she couldnt get it out maybe? One reason that you pretty much need to be around to be there to watch a cow getting ready to calve, in case you need to pull it out. Or C section it in time before to much time elapes and the calf dyes. Things can happen. But, also, not knowing what the cow was bred to, can cause problems. Such is a typical problem at sale barns.

I purchased a couple of bred cows
> your responses.

Why didn't you go check on the cow Saturday night? You must of known she was calving. You also get what you pay for and all sales through the sale barn are final and between the buyer and seller they only sell the cows regardless of quality.

[email protected]

I did go check on the cow Saturday night, as I said in my first post. Cow did not appear to be in stress at that time. Just to let the rest of you know, not all Sales Barns are created equal. I paid $550 for the cow and had a vet bill of $100. The Sales Barn is run by good people that my family has known for many, many years. They offered to send me a check for $300. Because of the report from the "vet" they felt is was the right thing to offer. As I had said, I have sold at this and other sale barns in the past, but never had purchased at one before. Previously purchases have been "private treaty" and will probably do that in future, but will continue to use this barn when selling any cattle through a sale barn.

> Why didn't you go check on the cow
> Saturday night? You must of known
> she was calving. You also get what
> you pay for and all sales through
> the sale barn are final and
> between the buyer and seller they
> only sell the cows regardless of
> quality.

[email protected]

Sorry to hear about the cow. But my grandpa always said that you can't lose 'em all and you can't save 'em all... My only advice is to go walk throught the pens before the sale getting a feel for the cattle and as soon as something appears to got wrong either before or after purchase either forget about the animal or sell it. You can't help some of these things. And If you ask me it's that challenge that makes this so much fun.

[email protected]

Latest posts