Sale Barn Live & Learn

Help Support CattleToday:

I like that idea!
However, immediately after posting above, I forgot the lil fart is already sold. Neighbor wants him to feed out for next year. He will castrate at weaning.
As long as he dont back out, I'll have done ok on him.
It's this one on the left. Does he look dairy?
He should be pushing 400lbs
View attachment 8592View attachment 8593
I had a couple that looked like your one on the right. They brought .80/lb. The black ones brought 1.80/lb at Enid.... Old cow still brought 0.80/lb too

I had a couple that looked like your one on the right. They brought .80/lb. The black ones brought 1.80/lb at Enid.... Old cow still brought 0.80/lb too
Yep. I see that a lot.
I think the best money is selling animals like these 2 privately or eating them!
If the guy that wants them backs out, I'll eat one of em.
The were dang sure cheap calves. The 3rd calf Bessie is raising will pay for herself and feed costs. Hes a black bull calf

First thing is never ever sell a dairy cross bull calf. A steer is much better. I bought 2 Jersey steers last Saturday weighing 960 and 1020. Wouldn't have bid on a Jersey bull calf
Based on your statement, buy the bulls, make them steers, fatten and sell them. Is there a profit to be made?

Yes most of the time there is profit to be made. Only thing better is a horned bull calf . Dehorn ,steer and fatten them up .

Based on your statement, buy the bulls, make them steers, fatten and sell them. Is there a profit to be made?
Not that I've seen around here. The problem I see, is that there isnt enough of em around to make a load.
I guess I left out the part of dairy calves over 300lb or so. I don't mind a small bull calf but sure wouldn't bid on a 700-1000lb jersey bull.
I can certainly agree with that!
The fella that wants my 2 colored calves wants all natural. I can live with that...

Xl bander can band up to a 700lb bull.
Bands are around a $1 so a band add in a couple of shots.
So $10 max, 10 minutes max labor ,20-40 days for the band to fall off
And you have taken a larger bull calf very few would bid on to a steer that is worth way more then bull you bought roughly a month ago

Xl bander can band up to a 700lb bull.
Bands are around a $1 so a band add in a couple of shots.
So $10 max, 10 minutes max labor ,20-40 days for the band to fall off
And you have taken a larger bull calf very few would bid on to a steer that is worth way more then bull you bought roughly a month ago
Yes but to me it's just not the same as working on a beef type calf. I can knife cut a 700lb calf and it will be over in less than a minute but somehow I just dont like dealing with dairy bulls.

Latest posts