sale barn & kids ..

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I went to my local sale barn not really intending on buying anything but left with 4 holstein calves thanks to my kids wanting them to bottle feed since they had no mother... OMG ... I paid 35 for each one which I didn't mind but there holstein. I had a hard time convincing my 3 year old daughter that the calf would not want to ride in the truck with us. The cattle prices were good for buyers but not too good if you were selling. I almost bought 12 blk angus steers that were 650 # for .80 cents a lb. till other guys woke up and ran price up to 1.02 a lb.

Wait until you start buying the powdered milk replacer. Before its all over you will wish you had bought the 12 Angus Steers @ $1.02.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman, You are right. I had to get powdered milk replacer this am and other supplies i just made a bottle holder for them so I won't have to always hold the bottle when kids aren't around.

Milk replacer may be expnesive but if the kids are doing even a third of the feeding it is worth the price. I got my start as an 8 year old feeding a holstein bottle calf my dad bought me. All of my kids raised bottle calves. It is a great way to start them out.

That dog gone powdered milk has gone out of sight. You might be cheaper in the long run to get a jersey cow that would let them all nurse. On the other hand some of these companies sell a bucket that has multiple nipples if you want to stay with the milk replacer.

Circle H Ranch

I agree Dave thats what I wanted to happen them get interested in the animals... They love the equipment but this is there first real experience with the calfs. I won't sell them they will be theres until they want to sell or they die off... Yea i may need to look into that bucket thing do you know who sells them ?

Probably Nasco, Jeffers, Valley Vet or most any animal supply should be able to get you a bucket. I saw one somewhere that had about 6-8 nipples on like a 5 gallon bucket. Would be good if you were having to feed and in a hurry. Just pour it in and they will take care of it.

Circle H Ranch

Thanks Cattleman I am going to look into that today kids already fed them when they got home and had the biggest smiles on there face. I hope the newness doesnt wear off.

:lol: CUTE!
Do ya'll think its good to buy at calf barns!? I always heard it wasn't. Idk! That seems cheap for calves. We paid $400 for 2 calves, a holstein and a black angus heifers. Did I get ripped off!? We paid $150 for a black angus bull and I jew the man. Than he end up giving up all the milk, grain, meds. ect. Which I am sure was well worth over $150.

Chevy":22zpsamw said:
:lol: CUTE!
Do ya'll think its good to buy at calf barns!? I always heard it wasn't. Idk! That seems cheap for calves. We paid $400 for 2 calves, a holstein and a black angus heifers. Did I get ripped off!? We paid $150 for a black angus bull and I jew the man. Than he end up giving up all the milk, grain, meds. ect. Which I am sure was well worth over $150.
$400 for 2 calves. if they were both heifers u did ok but if the holstein isa bull u paid too much.if the holstein is a heifer i would question why a dairyman wouls sell her.most dairy's keep all there heifer calves unless she was a twin to a bull in which case she will not breed and u have a free martin.

I bought holstein 3 heffers and 1 bull ... they seem to be very healthy I talked to the man selling them he also sold there mothers . He said mothers had some bad habits he didn't like. Where i am located hardly any dairy farms only 1 that I know of guys up here will not buy a holstein,brahma nor any red cattle what so ever so if you need any of those you should come to my local market they tend to go pretty reasonable...

Kenny the market I go to is Southside Livestock Markets, Inc.

The holstein was a heifer. We paid $150 for the bull calf. I am a lil sweet talkin hustlin girl from the south :pretty: ! Don't you know all women are after something, their not just tryin to be nice! :lol: Our sale barn hardly ever has calves. Sure wish it did, I'd buy me 40 or so! :D Mama said "get more bees with honey than vinegar" :nod: :pretty: :wave:

Chevy":216dn9hq said:
The holstein was a heifer. We paid $150 for the bull calf. I am a lil sweet talkin hustlin girl from the south :pretty: ! Don't you know all women are after something, their not just tryin to be nice! :lol: Our sale barn hardly ever has calves. Sure wish it did, I'd buy me 40 or so! :D Mama said "get more bees with honey than vinegar" :nod: :pretty: :wave:

Well one that finally admits it. :lol: :clap: