Sale Barn Herd Building

Help Support CattleToday:

Newberry Creek":e89jtn6d said:
The 10 bred heifers I first bought 8 years ago at the Dothan Sale Barn are the best cows I have on the farm. I've had better luck buying from "replacement sales" than thru the regular sale ring. Around here they have replacement sales about once a month at the sale barns.
DLM has some nice replacement sales. The 11 cows I bought last year were going to be run thru the market if I had not of bought them off the farm.

I haven't bought many at sales but I have built a good bit of my herd with "cull" cattle. Those guys with a strict 60 day calving period will cut some nice stock just because they don't breed in time. It works good for them and it works good for me. Also herd downsizing has been a great herd builder for me.

A fellow Brangus breeder friend went through a divorce and unloaded a bunch of registered cattle at our local sale barn. I suppose that happens a lot. They need some money to pay the ex off and sell quick.
He had spent years developing this herd and improving genetics, so they were good cattle.

branguscowgirl":2bawrhae said:
A fellow Brangus breeder friend went through a divorce and unloaded a bunch of registered cattle at our local sale barn. I suppose that happens a lot. They need some money to pay the ex off and sell quick.
He had spent years developing this herd and improving genetics, so they were good cattle.
now if i spent years building a herd like that i sure wouldnt sell them at the sale barn.unless the decree was sell the cattle and splitt it.then id prolly sitt there and try to buy back as meny as i could as cheap as i could.

If you just want to blow your mind, calculate what you have in a heifer that you keep for a cow, before you sell one calf off of her.

550 LBS x $2.40= $1320

3 years of up keep= $1500 if not more

Total $2820

Makes that long bred, young cow look a little cheaper

Factor in, if your lucky, 70% of those heifers you keep will make it in to your cow line.----Makes those long bred young cows seem cheaper.

With all that said, I've give up on stockyard cows.

Bigfoot":37fp1tnj said:
If you just want to blow your mind, calculate what you have in a heifer that you keep for a cow, before you sell one calf off of her.

550 LBS x $2.40= $1320

3 years of up keep= $1500 if not more

Total $2820

Makes that long bred, young cow look a little cheaper

Factor in, if your lucky, 70% of those heifers you keep will make it in to your cow line.----Makes those long bred young cows seem cheaper.

With all that said, I've give up on stockyard cows.
I haven't given up on stockyard cows. But for all the reasons you said, it's hard for me to keep heifers anymore. You can sell them for so much it just seems smarter to sell heifers and buy bred cows.

BF those calculations look good but as others have said. Some do not have the $ to put into those long bred cows and can buy more heifers than they can long bred cows.

skyhightree1":2n2taso3 said:
BF those calculations look good but as others have said. Some do not have the $ to put into those long bred cows and can buy more heifers than they can long bred cows.

good point

bigbull338":hbtikmod said:
branguscowgirl":hbtikmod said:
now if i spent years building a herd like that i sure wouldnt sell them at the sale barn.unless the decree was sell the cattle and splitt it.then id prolly sitt there and try to buy back as meny as i could as cheap as i could.
That's exactly what he was ordered to do. Sell them and split it. Luckily with the current sale barn prices, he was not too disappointed with what they had brought. He did not need to try and buy them back, because I think that he had some still hid away somewhere........
I have seen so many people do this with some really nice horses and cattle. They will hold out for the high prices, but something will change and they will be forced to dump them quick.

Latest posts