sale barn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa":3o2vvpfr said:
My thinking is if your practices make antibiotics routinely necessary, there is something wrong. Also gives PETA more ammo.

You are entitled to your opinion and have the right to think exactly as you have stated.

There were over 17000 animals at the sale barn when I brought that bunch here to background. Those calves I bought had been exposed to practically everything, under stress in the summer heat. Pnuemonia broke out, in August heat, while they were being backgrounded. We were having 100 degree days. If I would have followed your thinking, I would have dug 37 holes and lost that group.

I know of 4 in this forum who can tell you a story of buying a group of calves and all died.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinions. Just remember who reads this forum. What climate do you live in? They may follow your advice and not do anything. Pnuemonia in the summer can kill just about all of the calves they buy, in this climate. "Shipping fever" if you prefer that name.

You might also note the suggestion I made to talk to the vet at the salebarn and have things done before you put them in the trailer to haul them home. You might also note bez's advice above which referred to this link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59728&p=692969#p692969

The Vet i use has told me to hit sale barn cows with a good antibotic before you do any thing else. Hit them with the antibotic watch for sickness if all is well in a week to ten days then vacnate. They have been exposed to all kinds of disease in the sale barn injecting more is not going to help them.

backhoeboogie":23mnlar6 said:
djinwa":23mnlar6 said:
My thinking is if your practices make antibiotics routinely necessary, there is something wrong. Also gives PETA more ammo.

You are entitled to your opinion and have the right to think exactly as you have stated.

There were over 17000 animals at the sale barn when I brought that bunch here to background. Those calves I bought had been exposed to practically everything, under stress in the summer heat. Pnuemonia broke out, in August heat, while they were being backgrounded. We were having 100 degree days. If I would have followed your thinking, I would have dug 37 holes and lost that group.

I know of 4 in this forum who can tell you a story of buying a group of calves and all died.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinions. Just remember who reads this forum. What climate do you live in? They may follow your advice and not do anything. Pnuemonia in the summer can kill just about all of the calves they buy, in this climate. "Shipping fever" if you prefer that name.

You might also note the suggestion I made to talk to the vet at the salebarn and have things done before you put them in the trailer to haul them home. You might also note bez's advice above which referred to this link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=59728&p=692969#p692969

Good post.

Wow, raw deal there..sorry about the loss of your cow.

That is a big reason I will not buy at sale barns..to many what if's. alot of folks use those sales as a dumping ground for their "problem children". ;-)

spinandslide":wju8r05g said:
Wow, raw deal there..sorry about the loss of your cow.

That is a big reason I will not buy at sale barns..to many what if's. alot of folks use those sales as a dumping ground for their "problem children". ;-)

True....you can get a good education at the sale barn but the tuitition can be awfully high sometimes. Most sales around here don't tell you much once a cow, calf or bull is checked in. The seller may have her palpated and aged and that will be painted on her side. Other than that, it's your trained eye, a bit of knowledge about the market and a stroke of good luck along with some management. I don't think I would ever buy a cow with a KNOWN problem of real shortcoming. (bad feet, long udder, bad eye, limps, hips knocked off, etc.) but sometimes you can find a problem after you get home and this has happened to me...nothing major but a nuisance anyway. May be major and may be something that a little immediate attention will cure. I sell quite a few at the barn as well and whether it's a pair, a bull or a calf, each is raised like it's going to be a keeper. Anything with anykind of problem we bypass the salebarn and go straight to the packing house.

TexasBred":3bqg3mvo said:
Other than that, it's your trained eye, a bit of knowledge about the market and a stroke of good luck along with some management.

They can be perfectly healthy when they are brought to the sale and when they go through the ring and you buy them.

Agreed TXBred :D

Those bad'uns..get them outta the pool of cattle, they will taste just fine. Folks do that to with horses alot of times..have a crazy somebeach and haul it to the sale, give it some ace and it rides around kid gentle. some poor sap buys it for their kid, take it home, ace wears off..bad deal. better to simply put a bullet in the head of one like that(since you cant sell to the slaughterhouse with horses anymore).

The horse is not hardly worth the ace promazine shot any more. He is worth $100 crazy and $200 tame as a kitten on a good day.

Here that Brandon..:(

We breed to alot of the upper end stallions in the industry and even those really good, wellbred ones arent bringing what they were afew years ago..I remember high sellers at the big cataloged sales bringing over $100,000..now the high sellers are $20,000-$40,000 with lots of PO's...shame.

That's SO horrible that they are only getting $20,000-$40,000 for an animal.

spinandslide":5j48dezw said:
Here that Brandon..:(

We breed to alot of the upper end stallions in the industry and even those really good, wellbred ones arent bringing what they were afew years ago..I remember high sellers at the big cataloged sales bringing over $100,000..now the high sellers are $20,000-$40,000 with lots of PO's...shame.

when the animal was bringing 80-100 grand 3 years ago its a shame to them. the price of horses was inflated back then, but now its completly dropped, with no bottom to the market and a weak economy where folks are selling off luxury items...Horse show numbers are ridiculously low, folks are getting out left and right. the market is changing in a big way right now. Not sure what we'll have when its all said and done.

Latest posts