Sale Barn Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Good posts. The point's I was trying to make have been stated.
Many newbees on this board might get the thought that all sale barn cattle are bad. Some are but the majority are not. Without the sale barns it would be hard for many small producers to market their cattle and get a decent price.
Just because a cow in there does not always mean it is a cull and even if it is it might be a better cow than many have now. A cull cow from Dun, Angus Cowman, or many others might still make money for someone else. She might just not be up to their standards.
I buy cows almost every week, many from a sale barn. Yes sometimes I get a junker but most make a little money. I also buy a lot of calves, most on order. Like some others I would like to buy weaned, vacinated calves off the farm but many times they are just not available.
As for being qualified to make a good decision who knows. If you feel that you might not be, give a buyer or someone you trust the job of buying for you. They might get them cheaper and they should have a better eye for anything wrong. For many that is their job and they know if they do a good job for you they will get to do it again.
It is bad to see a newbee come into the sale barn and someone look at them and think "fresh meat". Yes it happens! :eek:

kenny thomas":350qyc56 said:
Good posts. The point's I was trying to make have been stated.
Many newbees on this board might get the thought that all sale barn cattle are bad. Some are but the majority are not. Without the sale barns it would be hard for many small producers to market their cattle and get a decent price.
Just because a cow in there does not always mean it is a cull and even if it is it might be a better cow than many have now. A cull cow from Dun, Angus Cowman, or many others might still make money for someone else. She might just not be up to their standards.
I buy cows almost every week, many from a sale barn. Yes sometimes I get a junker but most make a little money. I also buy a lot of calves, most on order. Like some others I would like to buy weaned, vacinated calves off the farm but many times they are just not available.
As for being qualified to make a good decision who knows. If you feel that you might not be, give a buyer or someone you trust the job of buying for you. They might get them cheaper and they should have a better eye for anything wrong. For many that is their job and they know if they do a good job for you they will get to do it again.
It is bad to see a newbee come into the sale barn and someone look at them and think "fresh meat". Yes it happens! :eek:
Very well said KT

1982vett":37sx22v1 said:
Jogeephus":37sx22v1 said:
I've lost a lot less money in a sale barn picking calves than I have picking wives. Qualified? No one ever said education would be cheap.

Yeah, got to watch out for those "photoshop" women just as you do for the cattle. :lol:
You men ought to know that some women are like christmas gifts. You just don't know what you've got till you remove the wrapping and see whats hidden in the box.
~Tom

alacattleman":1z8z19lp said:
kenny thomas":1z8z19lp said:
But unlike a Christmas gift you can't take it back and exchange it if you don't like it.
i did once, but was a hel! of alot better off with what i had

I can certainly relate to that.

backhoeboogie":1a0ju1a4 said:
kenny thomas":1a0ju1a4 said:
But unlike a Christmas gift you can't take it back and exchange it if you don't like it.

Why not?
Cn;t exchange tyhem and it will cost you a WHOLE LOT more to get rid of them then it did to get them.

A sale barn,in this country,is a necessety. A place to sell a few odds and ends,a great place to get true price discovery. Spend a little time there and you can get a free appraisal of your own cattle.Where would we be without them? I grew up as a cattle trader's son and realize that you can get took or make a bundle in a short time. It is a challenge to buy and sell there but is definetly a excelent place to get education and expierence.

Latest posts