sale barn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

farmboy80

Reaction score
Wanting to know what you all do with your cattle you purchase at the sale barns. As far as vaccination, dewormer, just turn out?
I bought a cow/calf pair, I've got them separate from the rest of my cows. Going to deworm them tomorrow. Just wanting to know how long before I turn them out with the rest of my cattle? They seem healthy. Look and act just fine. Just curious what everybody does?

farmboy80":2jd825cm said:
Wanting to know what you all do with your cattle you purchase at the sale barns. As far as vaccination, dewormer, just turn out?
I bought a cow/calf pair, I've got them separate from the rest of my cows. Going to deworm them tomorrow. Just wanting to know how long before I turn them out with the rest of my cattle? They seem healthy. Look and act just fine. Just curious what everybody does?

Quarantine for three weeks in a couple acre lot Ivomec and vaccination with Vira Sheild 6 + VL5

Caustic Burno":34sjvatt said:
farmboy80":34sjvatt said:

Quarantine for three weeks in a couple acre lot Ivomec and vaccination with Vira Sheild 6 + VL5
Vaccinate cow and calf with both those?

Looks good to me. I would use the killed virus on first round and booster with modified live. Covexin 8 wouldn't hurt on either one.

worm and vaccinate like they are saying, I don't Quarantine as long as C B does but it sure does not hurt to and probably is a good thing to do. I also record the metal ear tag numbers and keep it and record any brands/marks. If I am keeping them I like to brand them before I put them out to pasture if they are just resalers I don't.

BRYANT":9g236dur said:
worm and vaccinate like they are saying, I don't Quarantine as long as C B does but it sure does not hurt to and probably is a good thing to do. I also record the metal ear tag numbers and keep it and record any brands/marks. If I am keeping them I like to brand them before I put them out to pasture if they are just resalers I don't.

Hogs is why I went to quarantining that long.

http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/docum ... ncerns.pdf

Forgot lepto as well.

Sure don't want them in close proximity of your main herd, like a fence barrier. They still can catch ' shipping fever' through it,or share a water source,it's a nightmare....they can be carriers,are suffer themselves from it...takes a couple days to show up too..I've known guys to turn them out a couple day after they got em home.. And bam!! several of the cows came down with it....good luck..

BVD PI and Johnes tests. I don't need a typhoid Mary. Though they can test clean for Johnes and polluting your entire pasture the next year.

I bring in calves often, if they are from the stock yard or off the farm they get Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, implant with Ralgro, Cydectin injectable, if bulls they get tetanus antitoxoid and castrated. I normally keep them separated for less than a week. Longer I'm sure wou ok do be ok but if I'm buying I need the lots for the next calves in a week.
If I buy cows at the stock yard or off the farm they get the same treatment minus the Ralgro and tetanus.

kenny thomas":305w1say said:
I bring in calves often, if they are from the stock yard or off the farm they get Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, implant with Ralgro, Cydectin injectable, if bulls they get tetanus antitoxoid and castrated. I normally keep them separated for less than a week. Longer I'm sure wou ok do be ok but if I'm buying I need the lots for the next calves in a week.
If I buy cows at the stock yard or off the farm they get the same treatment minus the Ralgro and tetanus.

I do basically the same vaccination program. Some difference in brand names but drugs to address the same issues. I also give them a blast of LA200 to help with any bugs they may have picked up at the salebarn. And I hot iron brand them. I have a friend who runs about 1,000 stockers, 99% from the saleyard he give the same drugs with draxxin. I just can't bring myself to give every one of them draxxin.

Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":195h00sy said:
Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.

Must be different studies up north than here. I'll quit vaccinations if I have to use live vaccines.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":9fncxqih said:
Yes Jeanne, it is safe for all classes of cattle including pregnant cows.

True Grit Farms":t1b5n2jw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":t1b5n2jw said:

Must be different studies up north than here. I'll quit vaccinations if I have to use live vaccines.

Killed are not a waste of money.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":16pdjh16 said:
TGF - I think you are referring to the killed vs live?? Killed has a use, but people have to realize that it does not give the length of protection that live gives. That's not North vs South LOL

Never heard that or wasn't paying attention...possibly both. I know most the university vets preach using MLV, but every single one says MLV comes with more risk of unwanted side effects.

True, if you don't read the labels carefully. They are safe if you vaccinate on a timely program. Cows need to be vaccinated AT LEAST 30 days PRIOR to breeding, each & every year. Then you are safe to vaccinate your calves. I vaccinate using BS5L5 - cows prior to breeding & calves at 3 & 4 months of age. That way they are covered & I don't have to re-vaccinate until about a month after weaning. My feedlot buyer LOVES my steers. Says they stay healthy compared to other "precondition" programs.

Latest posts