Sale Barn Bottle Calves HELP

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you ALL for all of the informative comments! Both of the calves are doing better!! They were jumping around and butting heads when I gave them their electrolytes. So hopefully we are over the hump. I will keep you posted on their health!

Glad the calves are doing better. It's been several years since we raised baby calves on any scale other than the occasional situation from our cowherd. At one time we were having a rough time with some dairy calves and our vet at the time recommended an intra nasal vaccine upon bringing them in. I don't remember the name of it though

If I were bringing in calves from a sale barn, the first thing I would do is use Calf Guard. It is an intranasal MLV for coronavirus and rotavirus. It comes as a freeze dried preparation in individual dose vials. I used it before I went to First Defense. The only advantage to First Defense is that it covers E. coli (K99).

:banana: Just thought I'd give you all an update on the calves, they are Both doing GREAT all of their scours are gone!! And they are happy energetic calves!!

Good.

I think they prob would have been ok anyway.

Biggest prob I see is not knowing what has gone on in first 24-48 hrs with calves....

Maybe they would have been ok without all of my intervention? That being said. I will raise my calves my way you can raise your calves your way. Out of the 2 dozen calves I have raised.
I lost 1 and it was so sick when I got it I didn't think it would live, it never had Clostrum and I only took it because the people who had it had little children and I didn't want them to experience it dying. I'm not bragging, I just think Electrolytes are very useful, and they have there place,.

Latest posts