Sale Barn Bottle Calf Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

When they would sell a calf by the pound they put it on the electronic screen and when they are sold by the head, they have it on the screen and after they sold that calf they put $175 on the screen.

Hereford2 said:
When they would sell a calf by the pound they put it on the electronic screen and when they are sold by the head, they have it on the screen and after they sold that calf they put $175 on the screen.

Thank you, I just can't imagine a good 300# beef calf bringing .58 a lb. That sure beats buying baby calves.

I agree, if I'd have been able to keep up with the bidding, I would have bought it. There was a super boney cow, that sold for $129 it looked terrible, the next cheapest cow went for $335 , she was CRAZY, she acted like a bull, complete with pawing the ground and ramming the metal guards the guys in the ring were standing behind. The cheapest cow calf pair, sold for $550 the cow was horned. All of the cows were beef,. Most of the cow calf pairs sold for $900 to $1,100

Hereford2 said:
I agree, if I'd have been able to keep up with the bidding, I would have bought it. There was a super boney cow, that sold for $129 it looked terrible, the next cheapest cow went for $335 , she was CRAZY, she acted like a bull, complete with pawing the ground and ramming the metal guards the guys in the ring were standing behind. The cheapest cow calf pair, sold for $550 the cow was horned. All of the cows were beef,. Most of the cow calf pairs sold for $900 to $1,100
May I ask which sale you visited?

I know a guy who runs a bunch of stocker calves. When they are going to have a big run at the sale he goes to his Mom's house (just a few blocks from the sale) and takes a nap. Doesn't even go to the sale until about 6 or 7:00. By then the big buyers have pretty much filled up buying the big bunches. He buys the singles and small groups at a discount from what they were selling for earlier in the day.

I've bought lots of bottle calves at the salebarn. I've got some sick ones but I've got some really good ones too. I've not had a salebarn bityke calf die on me yet. I've lost some farm buy calves though. At the salebarn I prefer to buy calves split off old cows. I went a month ago to check out prices since I've been busy all summer and did not go. So early on a newborn heifer came in the ring. Solid black looked all beef. I got her for $75. I stayed another 4 hours waiting for the pairs. Their was a newborn red heifer on a 3 year old cripple cow with a knocked off hip that I thought they would split. Nope. They sold as a pair. All of the calves they did split went for $275 to $450. My heifer seemed like a steal. I got her home and tried to graft her onto my jersey. The jersey I raised. She calves Feb. 29th first calf. She raised hers plus 2 more until the end of August. We milked her a week. She adopted that new baby so easy. 2 days they were good. They lay cuddled together. So the next week I got her a farm buy heifer. A Charolais/corriente. 2 weeks later and she has accepted her and let's her nurse unassisted but she isn't cuddly with this one. My $75 heifer looks great. Filling out nice. But she has turned feral. The corriente loves me and the black looks at me like I'm going to eat her. She needs to get nice or I will eat her.

Latest posts