sale barn age

Help Support CattleToday:

Tatertot

Reaction score
Seems the boards have slowed down a bit. So here goes. What is your best guess, at the average age of the people at the salebarn you go to. The sale barn recently was packed for some reason and I got to looking around. I didn't see but a hand full of young people. When I say young I'm saying around 35. Average age, I would say 60. Almost all above 50. Staff in the office. About the same. I can't help but wonder what it will be like 20 years from now. Hopefully I'll still be around. By then I might not know what the heck is going on though. :D

Around here the people are old. Really really old. Like 55-60! :help:

:lol2: :welcome: :secret: :compute: ;-) :clap:

i am 37 but most of the people at our local sales are closer to my grandfather's age than mine. two of them went to school with him and another played against him ih high school basketball. i am with you in wondering what it will be like in 20 years when my son is in my boots. CJ

Central Texas most of people at sales are retired age , the national average age of farmers is 57 , ever the buyers are 50's and older, the younger ranchers have a main job to make a living and cattle are a side line. In the 1950's people were able to make a living off a few hundred acres of land , today noway, The weekly cattle sales numbers at local barn is half what it was few years ago and the other one in the County has closed after being in business 50 years from lack on cattle numbers, with the way the land is being sold off and put into small 5 to 10 acres lots and the large ranches are being high fenced and turned into game ranches in 20 years there will not be many cattle left in the area. I think this is a national trend where the large ranches are being sold and made into recreational ranches, the true ranchers and their life style are a dying breed and are becoming extinct . How many people on this forum are true ranchers and are able to make a living ranching. I now at heart we all are true cattlemen and would love to live that life style year round but financial situations will not let that happen. So lets hang in there and adapt to the changes to keep the life style going as long as possible . It just makes me sad to see my memories of the way I was raised a thing of the past and the young kids do not even know where their food comes from or how it is produced.

angie":1as9vavp said:

Okay Angie I git your point. 55-60 really really old.Then being 66 I must be ancient.

Thanks a lot, Cal

Calman":25bt4rt0 said:
angie":25bt4rt0 said:

Okay Angie I git your point. 55-60 really really old.Then being 66 I must be ancient.

Thanks a lot, Cal

Wear your age as badge of honor. Just getting this far has been real accomplishment.

Thanks a lot, Cal[/quote]

Wear your age as badge of honor. Just getting this far has been real accomplishment.[/quote]

Yea Dunn It's kinda fun to see the young pups making those mistakes we already have experience with.
Most the time if it's not to serious I just let it happen so I can laugh at the outcome. :lol2: :lol2:

Cal

Something doesn't add up. There was worrying about the advanced age of farmers when I was 20. Now I'm older, and we're still worrying. Seems to me the average age of farmers has always been about 57.

john250":18xk316z said:
Something doesn't add up. There was worrying about the advanced age of farmers when I was 20. Now I'm older, and we're still worrying. Seems to me the average age of farmers has always been about 57.
Maybe it means farmers don;t age!

I'd say the over fifty crowd seems to be there every weekend but I see a lot of folks younger than that. Now, the goat folks, and there are a lot of goats going through Cleburne, seem to be a younger crowd and mainly Hispanic. Dairy goats are a big deal around here along with meat goats. It takes three hours to run them through sometimes.

It's always been "old". I think that most of the younger folks are always out trying to make a living in town, and as they get older, they are able to do more with cows and go to the sale barns and such. I know in my younger years, I couldn't afford to take off time to do a lot of things that I do now. Now, I just take the time to do them, whether I can afford to or not...

angie":34q1w7ok said:

Antiques!

Thank Goodness I'm not as old as you, angie!

dun's so old there is a clause on his life insurance covering indian raids.

Most of the people at the sales are of retirement age here. That's only because they are the ones who have the time to be there. Many of the younger folks aren't there because someone else hauled their cattle to the salebarn while they were at their day job. Granted, most of the farmers here are advancing in their years, just like everywhere else, but there are more younger farmers than most people think. They just don't have the time for public appearances.

cfpinz":24pd68ah said:
angie":24pd68ah said:

Antiques!

Thank Goodness I'm not as old as you, angie!

dun's so old there is a clause on his life insurance covering indian raids.
You guys are so mean to dun. :lol: But inmy area its like Angie's area, 55-60.

angie":2qsu920e said:

I like going to sales, I'm a youngster compared to most. I can still climb to the top row. :D :D :cowboy:

mnmtranching":3rxbjemb said:
angie":3rxbjemb said:

I like going to sales, I'm a youngster compared to most. I can still climb to the top row. :D :D :cowboy:

Yeah me too...but I have to stop about half way up and have a smoke and get my breath back. :banana:

You have to climb down in Cleburne's barn.

Come to think of it, the salebarn's the only place where you can still smoke indoors...

the ave age at my barn is 55 to 80.an theres a few young pups under 40 that go to the sales.

Latest posts