Salad suggestions.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I have an engagement party to go to and the invitation said to bring a salad and the rest would be supplied. I believe it is a BBQ. I hate when they are vague.

I need a good salad suggestion that is original but yet everyone will like.

Thanks .

I don't guess it qualifies as "original", but I have a recipe for an "old fashioned" gelatin salad. It has a bit of horseradish in it, also sweetened condensed milk, so it is sweet, creamy and then follows up with a little kick from the horseradish. My family likes it and often requests it for holiday gatherings. If you are interested I will dig it up and post. It's probably from the 40's or 50's, it was in an old-school cookbook I got from an elderly family friend.

Or, if that doesn't sound good, in the summer I like to make "salsa salad" out of fresh corn. Blanch as for freezing, cut off cobs, add chopped onion, diced tomatoes, black olives, drained and rinsed black beans, fresh cilantro, or whatever Tex-Mex ingredients you like. Then toss up with mild salsa just to coat and give a squeeze of lime. Mild salsa so it's kid friendly.

Post the first one too please if you can Mo cows.

The gentleman she is marrying is Japanese so if any of you have a really good oriental salad recipe that would be great. I like a good thai salad but don't have a recipe. I may even bring a couple different salads if I can find some that sound good.

hillsdown":37tr2ohk said:
Post the first one too please if you can Mo cows.

The gentleman she is marrying is Japanese so if any of you have a really good oriental salad recipe that would be great. I like a good thai salad but don't have a recipe. I may even bring a couple different salads if I can find some that sound good.

Would "Tuna" qualify?? :lol2:

This engagement party is throwing ya for a loop eh HD? Listen, around these parts a salad can consist of everything from leafy greens to stuff with cool whip in it. How many folks do you think will attend? Got cookbooks here with tons of salad ideas. If you want to go leafy greens, a Caesar salad, if you want the mayo, cool whip kinda stuff let me know.

You don't have to make the mashed potatoes for this do ya?

LOL MM, the potatoes are for my parents 50th on the 25th that we are doing the whole buffet for ( mom and me )..

I had enough to worry about what I was going to wear and now I am asked to bring a salad.......My head hurts.

I don't want to bring something ordinary, I want to bring something great and original. Like me :p ;-) LMAO.. :help:

Here is a couple of my favorite salad recipe. My friend, Kelly, always made them.

Taco Salad.

1lb of ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 small can of sliced olives
1 med. size tomato, diced
1c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 small head of iceburg lettuce, chopped into 1" pieces
1/4c. diced onions
1/2 bag of Doritos, regular flavor Nacho Cheese, crunched up

Cook hamburger and add taco seasoning according to the directions. Put in a bowl when done and put in the fridge to cool.
Combine all other ingredients, except the Doritos, into a large bowl. Mix together. Add cooled taco meat. Now add the Doritos.

Kelly's Wheat Salad

1 large container of Cool Whip
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
2 small boxes Instant vanilla pudding
1/2c. lemon juice
1 (16 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 can Mandarin oranges
1 1/2c. clean, cooked wheat kernels
2-3. mini marshmallows

Mix Cool Whip and cream cheese in bowl with hand mixer. Add pudding mixes and beat til smooth. Stir in lemon juice and undrained pineapple. Fold in Mandarin oranges, wheat and marshmallows. Refrigerate.

Hope these help HD.

This is from the 21st printing of the Kitchen Klatter cookbook, dated 1980. The recipes seem to date back to the 1940's. In fact, the recipe for pizza is in the "foreign" section, so that tells you how old it is.

Party Salad
1 3-oz pkg lemon gelatin
1 3 -oz pkg lime gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cottage cheese
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup mayo
1 tsp prepared horseradish (a little extra doesn't hurt)
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, chill until mixture barely begins to thicken. Meanwhile, blend together the cottage cheese, sweetened condensed milk, mayo and horseradish. Add to gelatin along with pineapple. Stir until well blended, pour into 13 X 9 pan and chill until set. (I spray the pan with cooking spray.) Top with pecans after set if desired. Suggested serving is to "cut into squares and serve on shredded lettuce garnished with half a maraschino cherry. Lovely for club refreshments."

Sorry, I don't have the recipe, but there is a great salad that has crushed dry ramen noodles in it, and the seasoning packet from the noodles is used in the dressing. It has shredded cabbage like slaw and a lot of other veggies in it too. I had it at a bbq once and it was excellent but didn't have any way to record the recipe at the time. Might be able to find it online. I have dialup here at home so I'm not volunteering for that assignment tonight.

MO_cows":337brnw4 said:
Sorry, I don't have the recipe, but there is a great salad that has crushed dry ramen noodles in it, and the seasoning packet from the noodles is used in the dressing. It has shredded cabbage like slaw and a lot of other veggies in it too.
LOVE this salad!!!! Your other one is good as well ~ here we call it Sea Foam salad, and it is a little different, but not so much. It is at just about every get together.

I also like 7 layer salad, and it is easy enough to make. MM has an excellent salad recipe with wild rice and stuff, but she is not coughing it up. :(

RAMEN SALAD

Dressing:

1 cup oil (canola is best)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 packages beef ramen soup seasoning

Salad:

1 lb. package cole salad mix
2 packages beef ramen noodles
1 cup salted sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered toasted slivered almonds
1/2 cup carrots (if not in the cole slaw mix)

Prepare the dressing a day in advance by combining ingredients for dressing. Refrigerate overnight.
Break up noodles, mix all dry ingredients together, pour dressing over dry ingredients; mix well and chill before serving.

Thank you Angie! I loved that salad when I had it. The lady who made it had put chopped fresh broccoli in it, too, which went very well with the dressing.

Thank you all for your help and great suggestions ,now I just have to do a pre run.
Angie that's the one thank you.

Well I have time for this later as it is not until the 8th. It is mom and dads 50th that I need to worry about now ,9 days and counting. I wash washing roasters and serving platters all morning to get ready to take to the hall. I am just making my pasta salad for the buffet ,we are only having a garden salad a pasta salad ,coleslaw and a couple of dessert salads. Trying to keep it simple.

I hope we are not in over our heads on this one, sometimes I wonder what were we thinking and mom has been busy the last couple of weeks making cabbage rolls and squares.. The last thing I wanted was her working her but off for this, dad was put in charge of making the wine for the tables I think he has been enjoying sampling it. :help:

Now Mr. HD is talking about having a dinner party for about 30 or 40 of our friends when his dad is here next month from Holand to celebrate our 15th. I don't know if I am going to survive this one let alone one which would be at my home. I hope he forgets all about this little bright idea...

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Ok...the groom is Japanese...the last thing he wants is Japanese food or anything else that you eat with sticks. Give him the opportunity to try something totally new and different like a good mexican dish with plenty of Habanero peppers. That should make a lasting impression. :arrow:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: ROFLMAO TexasBred. My husband tried to get our host son's mom to eat a pickled Habanero pepper. I wouldn't let her. :D :D

This goes over really well!

UGLY SALAD

1 Large head of Nappa cabbage
2 to 4 tablespoons chopped scallions
3 tablespoons margarine
1 package Ramen noodles
4 ounces slivered almonds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Brown 3 tablespoons margarine, 1 package Ramen noodles-broken, 4 ounces slivered almonds and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds.
Combine with coarsely chopped cabbage.
Top with dressing of ½ cup vegetable oil, ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, ½ cup vinegar. Toss at last minute and serve.
You can substitute Romaine lettuce for the cabbage for an equally tasty salad.

TexasBred":24poj4yz said:
Ok...the groom is Japanese...the last thing he wants is Japanese food or anything else that you eat with sticks. Give him the opportunity to try something totally new and different like a good mexican dish with plenty of Habanero peppers. That should make a lasting impression. :arrow:

Tu eres muy malo!

3waycross":3tpzs6xl said:
TexasBred":3tpzs6xl said:

Tu eres muy malo!

Quiero conseguir su atención

Tu eres muy malo![/quote]

Quiero conseguir su atención[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :tiphat:

3waycross":5wa59af5 said:
Tu eres muy malo!

Quiero conseguir su atención[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :tiphat:[/quote]

3way I use to be pretty good with "Tex-Mex" but with so many now coming in from all over Central and South American plus all the indidans coming up from down there it seems there are a zillion dialects. NOBODY understands anybody anymore so we're right back to the gesturing and pointing. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":wmtaodt1 said:
3waycross":wmtaodt1 said:
Tu eres muy malo!

Quiero conseguir su atención

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :tiphat:[/quote]

3way I use to be pretty good with "Tex-Mex" but with so many now coming in from all over Central and South American plus all the indidans coming up from down there it seems there are a zillion dialects. NOBODY understands anybody anymore so we're right back to the gesturing and pointing. :lol2: :lol2:[/quote]

Just show them an empty wallet :nod: They'll get the idea.

[

3way I use to be pretty good with "Tex-Mex" but with so many now coming in from all over Central and South American plus all the indidans coming up from down there it seems there are a zillion dialects. NOBODY understands anybody anymore so we're right back to the gesturing and pointing. :lol2: :lol2:[/quote]

I find that if they are fairly well educated I can understand them pretty well. The indios and some of the campesinos speak like a wall of sound to me. Too fast and way too much dialect and too much slang for me. What's funny is I can read it pretty well and I always thought that should help me dealing with them in the kitchens, unfortunately most of the kitchen help is illerate in Spanish, so they spell everything phoenetically in Spanish. Don't think it's not fun tryin to figure that out..

Latest posts