Sailor breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle

Reaction score
Hey Dun or Arnold I was reading an old cattle book, the cattlemen were just really getting into the imports . There were several references made to the sailor breed. Where are they from, meat or milk.?

Unless it's some form of sea cow, manatee maybe, I would think that it's Salers, the french breed.

dun

Campground Cattle":3br4mgu9 said:
Hey Dun or Arnold I was reading an old cattle book, the cattlemen were just really getting into the imports . There were several references made to the sailor breed. Where are they from, meat or milk.?

dun":2wlx2x2u said:
Unless it's some form of sea cow, manatee maybe, I would think that it's Salers, the french breed.

dun

Campground Cattle":2wlx2x2u said:

Thats funny still laughing, it was an old book I guess the guy was quoting the old Montana rancher. It had me stumped, thanks needed that this morning . That just struck me funny still rolling about the sea cow.

I would think, depending on how far back you want to go, it refers to a dwarf polled cow the vikings carried on their ships so they would have fresh meat. This dwarft polled breed was crossed with a red English ox and became what we call Angus today.

paul swisher":2mtwm35y said:
I would think, depending on how far back you want to go, it refers to a dwarf polled cow the vikings carried on their ships so they would have fresh meat. This dwarft polled breed was crossed with a red English ox and became what we call Angus today.
Your statements are living proof that:
(SUCCESS BREEDS JEALOUSY)

Now I'm not always real quick on the uptake but I have never seen breeding Oxen.

Oxen are steers specially trained to work in the fields. Much stronger than the average draught horse or mule, oxen are also hardier and easier to keep

Oxen can be bulls, cows or steers. Wat makes them oxen is the training. The only reason they would be stronger is because of the work they do which builds muscle but discourages fat.
Generally dairy breeds are preferred because of the lower fattening ability.

dun

Campground Cattle":8xj2x2zr said:
Now I'm not always real quick on the uptake but I have never seen breeding Oxen.

Oxen are steers specially trained to work in the fields. Much stronger than the average draught horse or mule, oxen are also hardier and easier to keep

Britiannia Encyclopidia Defintion

The docile castrated male is used as a draft animal in many countries. Oxen are used for food in some areas. The term is also applied to a castrated male of any cattle breed. See also aurochs, yak.

Not saying you can't use other cattle for draft animals.

http://www.ruralheritage.com/ox_paddock/ox_whatis.htm

That's the "proper" term. However, both females and bulls can used. I am dealing from experience, not the dictionary. The problem with using bulls is they generally have other things on their minds making them hard to handle. Femailes on the other hand are too light for serious work. But I've seen cows in a yoke with a calf following along.

dun

Campground Cattle":18bswo39 said:
Britiannia Encyclopidia Defintion

The docile castrated male is used as a draft animal in many countries. Oxen are used for food in some areas. The term is also applied to a castrated male of any cattle breed. See also aurochs, yak.

Not saying you can't use other cattle for draft animals.

la4angus":12dhxfcu said:
paul swisher":12dhxfcu said:
No one said anything about success. Of course angus are successful but where did they come from? They developed over many years starting as I described from a sailors black animal and a british red animal. That is why they have a red gene. I am glad I am not PARANOID like some

paul swisher":k7ntiz5p said:
la4angus":k7ntiz5p said:
paul swisher":k7ntiz5p said:
No one said anything about success. Of course angus are successful but where did they come from? They developed over many years starting as I described from a sailors black animal and a british red animal. That is why they have a red gene. I am glad I am not PARANOID like some
I thought that the RED gene of the Angus was influenced by Shorthorn

According to the history of the breed, they used be either red of black. I don't recall the date but I think it was in the 1800's, it was decided that the proper color was black.

dun

A. delaGarza":1s6kd34t said:
I thought that the RED gene of the Angus was influenced by Shorthorn

If any one person can be singled out as the founder of a breed of livestock, Hugh Watson of Keillor, who lived in the vale of Strathmore in Angus, is worthy of that distinction. If not the first real improver of Aberdeen-Angus cattle, he was certainly the most systematic and successful. Both his father and grandfather had been buyers and breeders of the Angus doddies. The family is known to have owned cattle as early as 1735. Hugh Watson was born in 1789 and, in 1808, at the time he was 19 years of age, he became a tenant at Keillor.

When Hugh Watson started his farming activities at Keillor, he received from his father's herd six of the best and blackest cows, as well as a bull. That same summer, he visited some of the leading Scottish cattle markets and purchased the 10 best heifers and the best bull that he could find that showed characteristics of the Angus cattle that he was striving to breed. The females were of various colors, but the bull was black; Watson decided that the color of his herd should be black and he started selecting in that direction.

The book "History of the american angus association" has the black color becoming the the color of choice around the turn of the century to differentiate angus from other breeds which were predominately red. If I remember I will look up the date tonite when only the black angus could be registered in the american herd book. The galloway and angus have alot in common but were developed in different counties in Scottland . They were developed for meat from the beginning not a dual purpose breed like most of the mainland europe cattle.

I show Salers breed of cattle. I showed her this year at the Junior Show in Houston this year. They do not have a breed for her so I had to so her with ORB (Other Reg. Breeds). She placed 1st in her class and then Champion in the Senior Division. I have shown her at other various show and have won Grand Champion with her. They are a great breed of cattle and I hope to enlarge my herd of them and maybe one day the major show will have this breed at shows.

Latest posts