Said it before, I'll say it again.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
I hate twins! Not supposed to start till April 29th. Seen cow with full bag yesterday morning, figured nothing good could come of that.

Well, she had to wait all day until 10PM to start something. No progress by midnight, so into the corral she goes to get checked. Two front feet, no head. Search and search, can't reach anything that even resembles a head. Calf is dead, you can smell the putrid mix in the water bag. Wind is howling from the southeast and snow/rain mix is pelting us continually. Feels well below freezing. Vet is 7 months pregnant and it wouldn't be fair to even ask her to come out into this weather. Guess we will let the girl out of the chute and put her in the barn, at least we will be warm, if nothing else, until the morning.

Well cow decides the she wants none of it and picks the fence with a little slack in the wires and decides to make them a little more slack. Back into the herd she goes. It's 2:30AM, I've been processing and sorting cattle for an upcoming sale all day, as well as helping a neighbor, and I was dead tired at 9PM, let alone at this time in the morning. To hell with it, she is on her own till the morning.

Went out at 7:30 this morning and find the cow in good spirits with two dead bull calves on the ground. Glad to see that rodeo come to an end. This is the 2nd year now that I have started off with twins. I swear, if there was anyway twins could be detected at preg-check time with 100% accuracy, I would abort every single one.

Bad deal Aaron! Sounds like the outcome would have been the same whether you got some sleep or not! Glad the cow made it through ok.

AT least ONE of you are in goos spirits! I haven't had the greatest luck with twins either, and I don't go rooting for them. When they're on the right cow and they work out, it is kinda cute though

Latest posts