Safety

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
We all can an become complacent for whatever reason, slow down and think twice ! After a lifetime of using a chainsaw without injury , while in a hurry to get things done after rainy weather and work conflicts. I laid my leg open across the knee. Even as bad as it hurts this morning , it may still be better than getting punctured 440,000 times by the locust that I was cutting.

yep, always try to be alert.. but I know that's easier said than done.. glad it wasn't worse

Around here it's hawthorns and rose bushes.. I swear the hawthorns have a poison in them that makes them hurt more.. I got whacked behind the knee with one and it poked in.. it instantly buckled my knee and I couldn't walk for 10 minutes, hurt like heck for ages... Been poked by all sorts of other stuff and none of it had that effect.

Glad it wasn't worse

Nesi, it sounds like you are allergic to hawthorn. Many people are and they suffer much more pain from a poke than someone who isn't.

Nesikep":3kdnogu0 said:
yep, always try to be alert.. but I know that's easier said than done.. glad it wasn't worse

Around here it's hawthorns and rose bushes.. I swear the hawthorns have a poison in them that makes them hurt more.. I got whacked behind the knee with one and it poked in.. it instantly buckled my knee and I couldn't walk for 10 minutes, hurt like heck for ages... Been poked by all sorts of other stuff and none of it had that effect.

Glad it wasn't worse

Have in a past life had the same problem and reaction to mesquite thorns. They're like trees with hardhead catfish fins growing out of 'em.

M-5":3rb7tgpw said:
You should lay off the "gin and juice"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

snoopdog":3rb7tgpw said:
We all can an become complacent for whatever reason, slow down and think twice ! After a lifetime of using a chainsaw without injury , while in a hurry to get things done after rainy weather and work conflicts. I laid my leg open across the knee. Even as bad as it hurts this morning , it may still be better than getting punctured 440,000 times by the locust that I was cutting.

If anyone is running a saw on my crew without their safety gear intact and used the way it was intended to be used they will be looking for a job.

May I suggest these - A lot cheaper than a hospital bill

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... gQodq5wOCw

skyhightree1":qifw2zk6 said:
M-5":qifw2zk6 said:
You should lay off the "gin and juice"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

snoopdog":qifw2zk6 said:

If anyone is running a saw on my crew without their safety gear intact and used the way it was intended to be used they will be looking for a job.

I will order a pair today , I always figured I would forget them, or "Im just gonna cut a couple of limbs". They will be on any time the saw is running from now on. Thanks for the link

skyhightree1":3o9nap7a said:

Hey sky, I think you just made another sale. (Maybe you should work on commission :)
Anyway, since I'm looking at chain saw gear, I thought I'd look at gloves. A pair I found at Northern Tool say: "Features chain saw-protective material in the back of the left hand."
QUESTION: What if you're left-handed? Serious question....Do they make left-handed ones, I wonder? I didn't see any at NT...

boondocks":2uip9h50 said:
skyhightree1":2uip9h50 said:

Hey sky, I think you just made another sale. (Maybe you should work on commission :)
Anyway, since I'm looking at chain saw gear, I thought I'd look at gloves. A pair I found at Northern Tool say: "Features chain saw-protective material in the back of the left hand."
QUESTION: What if you're left-handed? Serious question....Do they make left-handed ones, I wonder? I didn't see any at NT...

Lol boondocks send me the commission directly please... I think this is what you are looking for.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... oCdr3w_wcB

My brother was clearing off a fenceline of small brush, had a off brand red chainsaw that wouldn't stay running at idle. He jacked the idle up and went a tad too far--the chain kept running. He came back to the house with a big tear in his jeans right above his knee, but just a scratch on his leg. He was dang lucky.

This safety thread made me chuckle, what could be more dangerous than being in a tractor bucket with a chain saw trimming limbs? Having your wife operating the tractor.

greybeard":3gnw03l9 said:
Nesikep":3gnw03l9 said:

Glad it wasn't worse

Have in a past life had the same problem and reaction to mesquite thorns. They're like trees with hardhead catfish fins growing out of 'em.

Dam near killed Jake Spoon

Done that before too, in a Case backhoe front bucket..but not with wife operating the bucket. Brother was.
Wife gets to 'jerky' with that handle and can't always remember which handle is curl and which is raise/lower.
It's all or nothing with her..don't know how to ease into a little fluid flow.
I love her, but she can be a terror on any kind of tractor.

callmefence":1erzd7n4 said:
greybeard":1erzd7n4 said:
Nesikep":1erzd7n4 said:

Glad it wasn't worse

Dam near killed Jake Spoon

We ok now, Deets is here....

boondocks":3pshfe60 said:
skyhightree1":3pshfe60 said:

I'm southpaw, still operate the chainsaw right handed though, couldn't imagine how awkward it would be any other way

Nesikep":1rywdii4 said:
boondocks":1rywdii4 said:
skyhightree1":1rywdii4 said:

I'm southpaw, still operate the chainsaw right handed though, couldn't imagine how awkward it would be any other way

hmmmm...I'll have to maybe just go ahead and get the one with the protection on the left hand. I still don't see any with it on the back of the right hand, which is how I was thinking a southpaw (like the hubs) would use it. Guess I need to find a branch that needs cut this weekend and see how he holds the chainsaw. Was thinking of getting him some protective gear for father's day. He uses the dang chainsaw with no safety mask (even though I bought him one), no gloves. Jeans, t-shirt and tennies. Drives me nuts. And is often out by himself using it.

boondocks":1eut6gkm said:
boondocks":1eut6gkm said:

I read your question wrong I haven't seen any with it on the right hand :oops:

Latest posts