Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a year

• Every couple years

• Total voters

randiliana

Reaction score
Today, I started on a job that I try to do once a year. Cleaning tack and oiling it. This, for me anyways, involves taking everything apart which of course means that I check out every little piece of tack. Some of the stuff doesn't get looked at very often. Case in point the off side stirrup leather that is hidden under the seat. I look at the left side every time I saddle up since I throw the stirrup over the saddle to make it easier to do everything up. Well, the off side stirrup leather is almost 1/2 cut through. This saddle is new to me, having bought it 1 1/2 years ago, and there was a rivet that had been put in crookedly, and over the past 1 1/2 years it slowly ate away at the leather. Whoooo hooo, would that have been a nice surprise at a dead gallop after a cow!! I replaced the rivet, and the leather should be OK until I can get it replaced.

I have had other could-be-wrecks involving tack. One was last fall at the stock yards, the leather tie holding the off-billet let go. I noticed the saddle felt kinda loose which was weird since I had been on the horse for several hours. I ride with a full rigging, which was fortunate in this case, it was also fortunate that it was in the stockyards where most of the work is at a walk or trot, and there is no sharp turning. I snugged the cinch up from horse back and that is when I realized something major was wrong. Chance's belly just isn't that small ;-) . Got off, and the cinch was just hanging there. I fixed it with twine and made sure I tied it good. That won't be coming loose again.

So for those of you who use horses or just go out for a ride, check your tack out. Especially the parts on the off-side of the horse!! Might save your own neck one day!!

I've always made it a habit to check my tack almost every time I ride. You just never know. I always look over the obvious stuff when I tack up; the smaller details get a look about once a month. Everything gets completely taken apart and thoroughly examined once a year when getting cleaned/oiled. I used to do guided trail rides and had 30 + sets of tack to maintain. Made it much easier (and safer for the guests) to check daily - the earlier problems were caught, the cheaper and easier to fix!

I usually ride with a halter and lead rope and no saddle. If I do ride with tack however I check it before putting it on. I clean a couple times a year.

we had a guy here yesterday that didnt check his tack,cinch broke ,he fell off on his shoulder,broke it and now he has 3 screws holding it together :roll:

Latigos wear out right were they go onto the d-rings of your saddle. Usually every year I have to trim about 5" off mine and re loop them. When they get to short I get my new ones a little bit extra long just so I can trim them down the road without buying a new one.
BTW old latigos make great belts.
Also if you have plate riggin watch the brass rivets that hold your latigo rings in place. Those rivets wear. Usually every two years I have to replace some.