Safeguard paste wormer??

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
I was browsing at the local feedstore yesterday and looked at syringes of Safeguard wormer. Two containers side-by-side. One was labeled for horses and the other was labeled for cattle. The strength of the two containers looked to be the same. The quantity was different. Can they be used interchangeably for cattle or horses?

We need to worm a couple of calves. Wormed cows a few weeks ago. Just thought this might be convenient.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I'd stick to the one labeled for cattle. Was it any cheaper than the horse stuff?

All horse stuff is more expensive...I'd stick to the cattle stuff.

Alice

I'd stick to the one labeled for cattle. Was it any cheaper than the horse stuff?

They were not of equal size, so not sure if the per ounce price was higher or not.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Unless I'm mistaken, Safeguard is fenbendazole 10%....same concentration for horses, cattle, dogs, etc.....All species receive same concentration, different dosages.....

Good product when used correctly.

The few times I used Safeguard for cattle, it wasn't paste. I bought the blocks. It took lots of nickels to get those blocks too.

I've used the paste a couple of times. Real easy to get bottle calves to suck it down. I found it next to impossible to get the larger animals to swallow it. I'd stick with a pour on.

Safeguard does get something that the pour ons don't, namely tapeworms. Now, they aren't a problem for everyone, but it's nice to have a product that gets them...they also get lungworms, GIN (gastrointestinal nematodes)....don't touch flukes or warbles or lice. They have a place, just not every place....

Vicky the vet":uuco8gp1 said:
Safeguard does get something that the pour ons don't, namely tapeworms. Now, they aren't a problem for everyone, but it's nice to have a product that gets them...they also get lungworms, GIN (gastrointestinal nematodes)....don't touch flukes or warbles or lice. They have a place, just not every place....

For tapeworms don;t you have to treat them again a week or 2 weeks later? We only had the problem once a long time ago but it seemed that there was a 2 treatment course to get rid of them.

dun

backhoeboogie":2qh4tezd said:
The few times I used Safeguard for cattle, it wasn't paste. I bought the blocks. It took lots of nickels to get those blocks too.
ive used them once myself and they aint cheap i felt like i was cheating my cows and myself. could have spent that money on good injectable and known they all got a equal amount

Safe guard paste is a wonderful product. The blocks work well too. I like to paste or block in the spring and pour in the fall.

Some parasites are known to be building an immunity to ivermectin.

De-worming is the cheapest thing we can do for a cow.

I think it was Drovers that had an article, which I can not find, that talked about using Safeguard or similar products in tandem with pour ons. The eggs count was significanly lower whne used in tandom. I think it stated to used the safeguard again in two weeks or use the "power dosing " method. I have used the blocks. i think it was one block per 8 head. Seamed cheap enough for the ease of worming.