Safeguard mineral wormer blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

If I could get em to all stand In line and take their turn at it,,and get the amount they need of it, I'd be for it..to expensive to buy enough of them to do any good.might be a good mid summer"""supplement""" for a smaller herd.but we're on fall worming and I put my money toward a good injectable..bad time of the year for them to go into winter with a parasitic burden...

You can buy a concentrated meal you mix into your mineral & cubes as well. Never been around the blocks. I would use whatever form of supplement the cows are used to consuming. If they have never eaten a block before consumption might be pretty variable between cows.

I tried using them in the same application as fence but the cattle would never eat the recommended amount per day it says on the label to be effective. Its all just averages like that any ways but they never disappeared fast enough. Then again I question worming as often as they say any ways.

5S Cattle":eu8i92ec said:
I've heard good things about the cube wormers
Even with cubes you never know who got the recommended amount and who got more or less. And we're all usually guessing at weights so there's nothing scientific about it. The active ingredient is effective. Just put out enough to do the job. One block "supposedly" worms 8 cows over a 3 day period. (Give a half a cow and +/- a half a day. :lol2:

TexasBred":3terh21u said:
5S Cattle":3terh21u said:
Even with cubes you never know who got the recommended amount and who got more or less. And we're all usually guessing at weights so there's nothing scientific about it. The active ingredient is effective. Just put out enough to do the job. One block "supposedly" worms 8 cows over a 3 day period. (Give a half a cow and +/- a half a day. :lol2:
Right, but at least with the cubes the cows will stand around and eat until they're done with them. Just dump an extra bag and you're probably golden. With the tubs they're gonna walk off. At least that's how my cows are

5S Cattle":1smsxaxd said:
TexasBred":1smsxaxd said:
5S Cattle":1smsxaxd said:
Right, but at least with the cubes the cows will stand around and eat until they're done with them. Just dump an extra bag and you're probably golden. With the tubs they're gonna walk off. At least that's how my cows are
True but you're still overdosing some and underdosing some . An extra bag is a pretty darn good chunk of change.

We have used them in the past , and had trouble getting them to eat the recommended amount also . I would take up what's left , then reintroduce it a little later . Worms cost money .

I prefer the loose Safeguard mineral. I usually let them run out of regular mineral for a day or two and then put out the wormer mineral. From casual observation, it appears the distribution more even that with blocks or cubes. I do like to use the cubes when I have just a small group who are routinely being fed, i.e. weaned heifers, etc.

My guess would be IF you had a very uniform group (like all heifers, same age range) the cubes would be the best bet IF you were unable to work them thru a chute. Still, no matter what, some will get more, some will get less.

I may be missing something here but, why would you mess with additives in feed or mineral to worm? We work spring calves in May, and wean fall calves in May (worm everyone), then we work fall calves in October and wean spring calves in October (worm everyone). We never have the need to rework due to worms during the summer. So why is it so important to have a somewhat constant supply of wormer out? I know some parts of the country never have a true winter so this may not apply. Thanks!

Coosh71":1dq5obdd said:
I may be missing something here but, why would you mess with additives in feed or mineral to worm? We work spring calves in May, and wean fall calves in May (worm everyone), then we work fall calves in October and wean spring calves in October (worm everyone). We never have the need to rework due to worms during the summer. So why is it so important to have a somewhat constant supply of wormer out? I know some parts of the country never have a true winter so this may not apply. Thanks!
Coosh it's really not a constant supply but most fenbendezol (active ingredient in Safeguard) products have a 3 day worming protocol. They also make a drench which works well. As far as I know it is just not available as an injectable.

Latest posts