Safeguard drench

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I am thinking about using Safeguard drench this spring.
Wondering how difficult it is for a one man operation to do.

It looks like the drenching gun is curved with a little ball on the end , I suppose to keep from cutting the cows mouth.

Keep in mind I have never even seen liquid Safeguard. Will it run out of the cows mouth or do I have to hold the head up?
Or does it taste so wonderful they just slurp it down?

The reason I'm wanting to use it, is that I help a friend of mine with his cattle and around December his bull got down, he had the vet out. was determined the bull had an infection. It was treated multiple times with Nuflor and a few other antibiotics.

He contacted another vet who did a fecal exam and decided he was ate up with worms. She gave Safeguard flakes and within two days the bull was eating and gaining weight, good as new again.
I had already called that bull dead.
This had gone on for three weeks and he was almost gone. The vet said maybe we didn't use enough. He is about 1800 lb.
I personally wormed that bull with a 100 ml of pour on Iveron in November, i remember it well, he's not all that much fun.

The vet said we should rotate between wormers
The friend is gonna stick with Iveron, I'm not.

I think you are right to switch off wormers . I don't think you'll find the safegard difficult to use .
Suirt it on the back of their tongue ,it must not taste bad, we have mixed it in calves milk and they drink it right down .

Larry

Dan,

We have used the Safeguard drench and think it did a good job for us. It can be difficult to administer, depending on your facilities and your stock. You pretty much have to hold their heads up and shove the drench gun as far back in their throats as possible. With our set up one person can't do it. Studies have shown the Safeguard crumbles to be almost as effective as the drench. I think that is what we will use on our big cows. We will be using the drench on our calves and heifers.

I think you are wise to steer away from the pour-ons. Studies have shown them to be less effective.

Hope this helps.

Farmgirl

I haven't seen Safeguard work but everyone I talk to brags how good it is. I too am a one man operation so for this reason I am looking at using the crumbles mixed with some grain. This probably won't be as effective as drenching them but I doubt there would be a big margin.

I have a Priefert headgate, but they can still move their heads around alot.

If it isn't going to do any better than pour on there is no reason to go to the extra expense and trouble.

But something sure worked on that bull, I would have sworn he was going to be dead in a couple days and he got better in a hurry. Maybe it was a coincidence?

Dani, most wormers work if used according to directions. Sometimes it's necessary to worm a second time a couple of weeks after the initial worming. Use to use a lot of safeguard drench. True the gun has a "v" in the end of it to hook into the cows mouth and yes oftentimes some of it will run out or she will sling it out. But we had good luck with it. If it worked for you then keep using it. The pour ons are "still" good, so don't let anyone fool you there either. Just alternate wormers from time to time. The only thing I can't vouch for are is some of the generic wormers. Have never used them so don't know anything about them. I'm sure some on here have used them and can relate their experiences with them.

I think the best way to use Safeguard crumbles is to give them 1/2 to 1/3 of a dose each day for 2 to 3 days.

I think the injectable or the drench are good for flukes and a couple other critters that pour on does not effect.

For your young stock you should consider "strategic de worming" - - where you worm at pasture turn out or sometime during the previous winter, and then 2 more times about 3 weeks apart after turn out to clean up the pasture.

We use Safegard fairly regularly. Originally, the company provided a service to check stools for worms before and after treatment. I don't know if they still do this, but it was helpful to determine if we had a good irradication and whether we needed to retreat.

The gun they supply is worthless as far as I'm concerned. To fill the gun was a real drag - very difficult to get the air out without getting the stuff all over the place. We bought a small syringe drench applicator and it works perfectly nice - just stick the end into the bottle and withdraw the recommended amount.

We also use pour ons, but for calves we sill use the Safegard.

Billy

The Safeguard is not really a drench. It's more of a paste thats squirted into the side of the mouth via the "caulking gun" looking applicator.

While standing beside the head end of the chute, just hook the ball into the side (corner) of the mouth and squeeze the handle.

Works good and very little will be wasted. Basically as easy as the "pour ons".

MikeC,

I was referring to the Safeguard drench in my earlier post to this thread. We have used the paste also. That might be a better choice for one who is concerned about the cows spitting the stuff out or problems with a drench gun. Believe me, we have used both. Been there, done that.

Farmgirl

MrBilly":9p26l85s said:
The gun they supply is worthless as far as I'm concerned. To fill the gun was a real drag - very difficult to get the air out without getting the stuff all over the place. We bought a small syringe drench applicator and it works perfectly nice - just stick the end into the bottle and withdraw the recommended amount.

Billy

What type of "small" syringe drench applicator? The ones I have seen are labeled for lamb and goat.

Stocker Steve":9h3py8hj said:
MrBilly":9h3py8hj said:

Billy

What type of "small" syringe drench applicator? The ones I have seen are labeled for lamb and goat.

I only do what my Boss (wife) tells me. She has the records on which animals need more aggressive treatment and these are the ones we use the Safegard on.

We do not use the paste but the liquid, and I think the drench syringe is for sheep? It is about 20cc in size, plastic with a metal ball tip. Very easy to use, slide in side of mouth over tongue and inject. Never had one break.

Billy

Latest posts