Safe Place For Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Jo, your thread on the cow that cut her belly to the guts brought this to mind. I constantly pay attention to: Safe Place For Cows. Since I started preparing my farm for cattle, I maintain a vigil for places and objects that are unsafe. I have removed miles of old wire. When I renovated pasture, I would spend evenings walking the open ground picking up debris. I found broken bush hog blades, old steel posts, plow shares, wedges, old axes, old tools, etc. I deal with every sharp or projecting object I see. It is a vigil I constantly pursue.

I wonder if anyone else worries about making their place "Cow Friendly". I see pictures on here of cattle in barns or buildings with objects that pose a safety risk and old machinery setting around that has sharp projecting edges. Cows are good at getting around these areas without harm but you never know when another cow may push one into a bad spot and cause a wound like the one Jo had to deal with.

inyati13":1t021542 said:
Jo, your thread on the cow that cut her belly to the guts brought this to mind. I constantly pay attention to: Safe Place For Cows. Since I started preparing my farm for cattle, I maintain a vigil for places and objects that are unsafe. I have removed miles of old wire. When I renovated pasture, I would spend evenings walking the open ground picking up debris. I found broken bush hog blades, old steel posts, plow shares, wedges, old axes, old tools, etc. I deal with every sharp or projecting object I see. It is a vigil I constantly pursue.

I wonder if anyone else worries about making their place "Cow Friendly". I see pictures on here of cattle in barns or buildings with objects that pose a safety risk and old machinery setting around that has sharp projecting edges. Cows are good at getting around these areas without harm but you never know when another cow may push one into a bad spot and cause a wound like the one Jo had to deal with.
There once was a man who posted here by the name of mnmtranching that guy would post pictures of his cattle and they would be standing in what only could have been described as a scrap iron buying station. Junk everywhere. I just shook my head thinking wth is wrong with this guy.

I'm constantly picking up old hay string since our vet did a post mortem on a cow and I saw the ball of crystallized twine in her gut. (That's not what killed her, but it still got my attention.) I'm also a lot more careful about trying to remove it all when I feed than I used to be. And I try to keep those plastic grocery bags picked up that keep blowing in off the road. I've seen calves chewing on them.

I try very hard to keep things picked up. The occasional "redneck tumbleweed" will blow thru thanks to walmart. That aside, I think exposed roots in paths cripple some of my cows from time to time. Especially when they are walking down hill. I have tried to take an axe, and split them. Finally gave up on that.

I also run horses in my pastures with the cows. If it is there, they will find it. And get hurt every time! So I too am very diligent about keeping everything safe. Calves will eat anything! My ranch house has been here since 1910. I don't think there was any kind of trash service back in those days, so they buried anything that would not burn. It seems that stuff just grows out of the ground on a daily basis! Metal, nails, glass, even a cannon ball! (The cannon ball was a cool find!)

Every place I've ever had people have junked up and it drives me completely nuts
I can't handle it !!!
I'm OCD when it comes to anything that will not breakdown naturally in a short time
I lose sleep worrying about it till I get rid of it

You want to see me lose my mind, throw something out the window of your car
I will lose my shyt!
I nearly got a serious whooping over an oil field crew throwing their trash from lunch out the window when they pasted my place and I happened to be standing not too far away.
I think the only thing that saved me was they thought I must be off in the head to come after them like that.

cross_7":3g3fstz3 said:
Every place I've ever had people have junked up and it drives me completely nuts
I can't handle it !!!
I'm OCD when it comes to anything that will not breakdown naturally in a short time

I will lose my shyt!
I nearly got a serious whooping over an oil field crew throwing their trash from lunch out the window when they pasted my place and I happened to be standing not too far away.
I think the only thing that saved me was they thought I must be off in the head to come after them like that.

You and I share bad habits. :D I don't know if you have heard my story about the man who would not get his cows off my farm. He drinks Budweiser. He lives directly across the road from my farm. I frequently find empty Budweiser cans in my pasture that borders the county road between my pasture and his house. Isn't that pretty good evidence? I make a point to run that fence line to pick up trash. The problem with doing anything is twofold; First, I don't want to reignite a war; and Second, I cannot prove he is the one who does it. I never see him throw anything but he sees me picking it up. It could be anyone. Plenty of people here drink Budweiser and they still think it is masculine to throw their garbage out the window of their pick-up. It has occured to me that it might be someone who knows of our conflict and drives by and deliberately throws Budweiser beer cans on my land with the hope that the old wound can be reopened. In fact, this guys brother (drinks Budweiser) whom I get along with quite well thought the whole conflict was one of the most entertaining events in the county. :lol: BTW, after one has had good beer, how does one drink that "horse pizz"?

inyati13":35284wcz said:
cross_7":35284wcz said:
I can't handle it !!!

I will lose my shyt!

You and I share bad habits. :D I don't know if you have heard my story about the man who would not get his cows off my farm. He drinks Budweiser. He lives directly across the road from my farm. I frequently find empty Budweiser cans in my pasture that borders the county road between my pasture and his house. Isn't that pretty good evidence? I make a point to run that fence line to pick up trash. The problem with doing anything is twofold; First, I don't want to reignite a war; and Second, I cannot prove he is the one who does it. I never see him throw anything but he sees me picking it up. It could be anyone. Plenty of people here drink Budweiser and they still think it is masculine to throw their garbage out the window of their pick-up. It has occured to me that it might be someone who knows of our conflict and drives by and deliberately throws Budweiser beer cans on my land with the hope that the old wound can be reopened. In fact, this guys brother (drinks Budweiser) whom I get along with quite well thought the whole conflict was one of the most entertaining events in the county. :lol: BTW, after one has had good beer, how does one drink that "horse pizz"?
Inyati, here in CA those cans are worth 5 cents a piece! Do you get paid for picking them up in your state? :D
I guess that's why we don't find cans here. The "regular pickers" get them all. :lol: But we sure enough get to pick up everything else!

Latest posts