Safe in calf

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
If a man sells cows that are guarnteed, by him ,to be bred/safe with calf and 30% turn out to be open . What would you do?

oh, well i wouldn't want to shoot the cows at this point. maybe just shoot him!
but really i would be seeking some compensation!

denoginnizer":14svc5p2 said:
If a man sells cows that are guarnteed, by him ,to be bred/safe with calf and 30% turn out to be open . What would you do?

When I buy cattle - I am there when they are preg checked.

If I show up to buy we usually run this agreement.

I pay for the vet check on the cows that I buy.

He pays for the ones I do not buy.

We never run cows into a pen unless I am prepared to buy - so he knows I am not jerking his chain.

We split the mileage costs.

You get a signed vet certificate they were bred? Vaccinated?

These cows slip their calf at your place?

Can you prove your answer?

Maybe they really were bred when they left his place - can you confirm one way or the other? If not you might be out of luck - unless this fella' is a pretty good guy/gal.

You need to call this person up and have a chat - friendly like because he ALREADY has your money.

Good luck on this one.

Bez!

Maybe you've already done this,and I don't know the circumstances but I'd start with stopping by to see him or calling him on the phone and giving him a chance to make it right. You never know, he might just do it. Good reason for preg check by vet before you pay for them.

I bought some bred heifers last fall that had been pregged checked by a vet. He had their dues dates starting in June and through July. They started calving over three weeks ago! :lol:

buckaroo_bif":1da9rzmo said:
I bought some bred heifers last fall that had been pregged checked by a vet. He had their dues dates starting in June and through July. They started calving over three weeks ago! :lol:
It's a miracle! He was right about them being bred though. :lol:

Yep! they were bred alright! I ain't complaining I am darn glad they are starting now.

denoginnizer":3ao3f00t said:

Not to sound flip, but if they're guaranteed don't both parties to the transaction already know what to do?

Did you contact the breeder? If so did they refuse to honor the guarantee? If that's the case, then there would be problems. ;-)

denoginnizer":dbip2nd3 said:

To me it depends on the number of head we are talking about.

1 out of 3
7 out of 21
33 out of 99.

If 1 out of 3 turned out to be open, I wouldn't be quite as upset (could be a freak thing). How far along were they bred when you bought them? Guaranteed bred is one thing, guaranteed to calve is another.

If I truly thought I had done everything right on my part (caring for the animal, etc.) then I would talk to the person I bought them from and see what they are willing to do.

they have to be over 90 days to be guaranteed bred. they can slip a calf till then, if very many are open call the man and tell him, he may not be aware something is wrong. he should compensate you for the open ones or take them back.