Safe Guard cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, it was a rookie move and it was a waste of money. I learned later on that people way over worm their cattle and IF you are going to spend the money, do it right or don't waste your time.

Don't mind me. Some "let's all be friends" person will come along to powder your behind and tell you what you want to hear.
Again you are entitled to your opinion and whether too worm or not. I will continue too follow the advice of vets in this area. I feel they know more about what is needed than some poster that has never ran or worked a cow in this area. It is only your opinion the right way to do it. That don't make it the only right way.

If you want to do it like your vet says why aren't you asking the vet about the cubes vs the message board?

... oh heck, there is some more of that common sense you don't like. Guess it's another "area" thing.
Find it funny you mention common sense as your comments reflect you don't use it.
Our vets suggest protocols and suggest using a combination of products to avoid building a resistance.

If you would read what every one has been trying to tell you about actually testing to see if you need to worm you will see how your vet did you a huge dis-service telling you to worm twice a year regardless. Especially given the circumstances.

The truth hurts doesn't it.🥲

If you would read what every one has been trying to tell you about actually testing to see if you need to worm you will see how your vet did you a huge dis-service telling you to worm twice a year regardless. Especially given the circumstances.

First if you had any common sense and reading comprehension you would never of replied to my post. Again just ecause you state it doesn't mean it is the truth. There are several reAsons too use certain products. Worming isn't the only benefit gained by using certain products. Again it is obvious you have no clue what is needed here it won't admit you don't.

First if you had any common sense and reading comprehension you would never of replied to my post. Again just ecause you state it doesn't mean it is the truth. There are several reAsons too use certain products. Worming isn't the only benefit gained by using certain products. Again it is obvious you have no clue what is needed here it won't admit you don't.
Again, if you trust your vet and they know soooo much about your area, why did you come to the world wide web to ask about cubes? Call your trusty vet and let them tell you about them. 😄

Last edited:
The other thing I remember about the cubes is the cows didn't really like them. We feed cubes and they were not going for the safe guard ones like regular cubes. Guess they could taste the difference. I also feed a good cs cube though. The cattle can tell if I try to throw a cheap cube out, also.

The other thing I remember about the cubes is the cows didn't really like them. We feed cubes and they were not going for the safe guard ones like regular cubes. Guess they could taste the difference. I also feed a good cs cube though. The cattle can tell if I try to throw a cheap cube out, also.
Where money is no issue then you can disregard the cost and buy the highest feed you want. But good cattle man and women know the cost of an item doesn't always DICTATE quality. Our cubes one from one of the top feed mills in Oklahoma. So far our cows have ate the safe guard cubes fine. But have only fed two groups of 39 head total.

I will chime in.... if your vet is not doing fecal counts, then you are not addressing the problem of worms... If you are using the wormer for other benefits? as you say, then I am not sure that safe guard cubes is the answer.

We do not regularly worm adult cattle. This past fall/winter, had a group of cattle start to look real rough all of a sudden, dropping weight and rough hair coat etc. They were getting silage 3x a week in a free feed silage wagon we would pull out to the pasture. They had fall calves on them. We went so far as to test the water as well as catch the cattle with some head locks on the cart and I took fecal samples from 6 of the cows.. 2 real poor, 2 average, 2 quite "round". They all had some worms, the 4 poor ones had a huge number of eggs and worms.. While they were in the headlocks, we used pour on wormer on them all as a precaution.
Results that afternoon after I took the samples in to the vet.....In the meantime, within a week they all started to look better... and the thin ones gained weight quickly...
I took samples about 3 weeks or so later, from the 2 that had been very poor, and from 6 other ones... and fecal counts were down to next to nothing on all...

Vet said there was no real telling why they had gotten so infected... but we had just moved them into this pasture a couple of weeks earlier... pastures had been vacant for the summer as the cows are else where for summer pasture, and then they came back to the farm for the winter to calve and are rotated in 3 sections for the winter. Whether they picked them up in the previous section and then it just "showed up" when moved to this section or what we don't know. We had thought it might be the water because this watering trough is on a different well than the previous one and it was the only thing "different" we could think of...
But nothing showed up bad in the water..

I have used the safeguard blocks and used the pellets that are available in the past. have no complaints with either but then we don't use them much, so any response is usually good.

Where money is no issue then you can disregard the cost and buy the highest feed you want. But good cattle man and women know the cost of an item doesn't always DICTATE quality. Our cubes one from one of the top feed mills in Oklahoma. So far our cows have ate the safe guard cubes fine. But have only fed two groups of 39 head total.
Do you know what cs cube is?

I learned a while back that some people here, not mentioning any names, will post a question about something only to tell you the answer when you try to help. There's always some big cattleman that he's friends with or a vet that's giving advice ( mostly bad). You can beat that dead horse all day long and he won't be any deader.
Some people are determined to spend money that they don't need to, and berate the proper advice of others trying to help to make themselves look smarter.
I'm sorry but we'll never be able to fix ignorance in the cattle business, and sooner or later we just learn to stay in our own lane.

Latest posts