safe for cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

hate to look so dumb but, this is leftover rolls from italian resturant. lots of garlic. will it mess with nursing cows milk?

starbaby":2zu5ekzl said:
hate to look so dumb but, this is leftover rolls from italian resturant. lots of garlic. will it mess with nursing cows milk?

Just as a guess I would think it would.

starbaby":1y5shgso said:

I know when dairy cows get into leeks in the pasture it taints the flavor of the milk... Dont know if garlic has the same affect. Seems like it could..

Grippie":pl8mmfay said:
starbaby":pl8mmfay said:

I know when dairy cows get into leeks in the pasture it taints the flavor of the milk... Dont know if garlic has the same affect. Seems like it could..

It does. In the spring when the wild onions and garlic are growing it has a definite affect

Dad had a milk cow when I was a kid, the milk would take on a whole new flavor when the cow grazed on wild onions.
But I don't remember calves ever complaining. Besides isn't garlic supposed to cure almost anything?

danl":qrubw8ez said:
isn't garlic supposed to cure almost anything?
If enough is it eaten you won;t even get sick. No one will get close enough to pass you a germ, also great birth control

If you're just raising a calf on that garlic bread cow the calf won't mind the garlic. That garlic they use is diluted down anyway. You can slip in a donut or two occasionally to get the taste out of her mouth and sweeten the milk up a bit. :lol2: :lol2:

dun":22p7anpe said:
Grippie":22p7anpe said:
starbaby":22p7anpe said:

It does. In the spring when the wild onions and garlic are growing it has a definite affect

We've even had a tank of milk (or two) rejected because of cows eating clover.....................

Mike really?? I've seen some rejected from eating alfalfa and having a bit of a different smell. Happens in areas where not a lot of dairies feed alfalfa. Then you go to New Mexico where that's all they feed and nobody cares about the odor.

We have a pet goat that lusts for the fried chicken scraps that we put out for the dog. He will run right up a grab the remains of a drumstick before the dog gets it.

BAGTIC":mx0bhhej said:
We have a pet goat that lusts for the fried chicken scraps that we put out for the dog. He will run right up a grab the remains of a drumstick before the dog gets it.
Do you like this dog, if so, I would be very careful feeding chicken bones to it. If you don't like the dog then just continue as usual. 8)

What does the clover do to the milk? Why would it be rejected? I though clover is a protein good feed for cows.

There was a dairy here that got onion peels from a plant that made onion rings and his milk got rejected because it tasted like onions.

sidney411":qiebpfzp said:
What does the clover do to the milk? Why would it be rejected? I though clover is a protein good feed for cows.

There was a dairy here that got onion peels from a plant that made onion rings and his milk got rejected because it tasted like onions.

Sidney, clover is good but will sometimes give raw milk and "off flavor" especially if the milk plant receiving the milk is not use to it. The same for alfalfa. Milk produced in New mexico using a lot of alfalfa has no problem at the plants in NM but ship it to Houston and they may reject it just because of the alfalfa odor or flavor just because in that area few people feed alfalfa and the plants are not use to coming across that odor. ...Now onion?? I'd probably reject that too. :lol:

TREY-L":34zr000q said:
BAGTIC":34zr000q said:
Do you like this dog, if so, I would be very careful feeding chicken bones to it. If you don't like the dog then just continue as usual. 8)

We like the dog. Like the goat too. I know you are not supposed to feed chicken bones according to someone, I don't know who. I have been feeding them all my life. Never had a problem. I have lost dogs from lots of other causes though. I figure something could happen but it's probably on the low end of the probability list. It's kind of like telling a youngster to not go near the water until they know how to swim.

BAGTIC":2uqhpw0i said:
TREY-L":2uqhpw0i said:
BAGTIC":2uqhpw0i said:

We like the dog. Like the goat too. I know you are not supposed to feed chicken bones according to someone, I don't know who. I have been feeding them all my life. Never had a problem. I have lost dogs from lots of other causes though. I figure something could happen but it's probably on the low end of the probability list. It's kind of like telling a youngster to not go near the water until they know how to swim.
From what I have read, it is fried chicken bones that can be deadly to a dog. They get brittle when fried, splinter and can puncture an intestine. Not a good way to go.
I don't know what the chances are but, I wouldn't risk it.

Dan

There's always the chance something will go wrong but dogs have been eating chicken bones since creation. Some probably died. Probably not as many as have died from eating Ol' Roy dog food.

Latest posts