Safe corn moisture for grinding?

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so I have ear corn I am grinding for feed. I guess this pertains to shelled corn also. What is the safe moisture level for corn to keep without heating up when ground for feed. My ear corn is at 17.5% now and my neighbor says that I should only grind a ton at a time cause it wont keep. Does 17.5 really make that much of a difference from 15.5 as far as grinding?

Like some many things--it depends. For new ear corn, I find I can only grind about half as much as normal as it won't keep in the closed steel bin. However, I can load up the wooden creep feed bunker with open top in the barn for the calves and it will be good. Now, corn has dried and I'm back to normal grind amount.

shadyhollownj":3ruyfr99 said:
So corn was 17.5% and it ground up with no problems and is not heating in case it helps anyone that was curious.

How you're storing it probably makes a difference. Air temp & humidity in the air would also affect it.

When grinding corn that has high moisture if you mix something with it like dried molasses or soybean mill it will help lower the over all moisture and help it from spoiling.

Yep, we grind shelled corn every month for our poultry, less than 15-16% is ideal for sure. We also store the shelled corn and periodically turn the suk-up fans on to send air through the grain bins. After it is ground, it is good for at least a month in my experience.

pricefarm":3sdn9mpd said:
When grinding corn that has high moisture if you mix something with it like dried molasses or soybean mill it will help lower the over all moisture and help it from spoiling.

PRICEFARM.....ANY CHANCE YOU ARE ANY KIN TO RICHARD PRICE WHO LONG TIME AGO WAS BEEF HERDSMAN AT TECH?
i WAS STUDENT HERDSMAN AND WORKED UNDER HIM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS....MID 70S