Safe amount of daily protein?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have heifer who had a digestion problem. That is fixed but she is a lot thinner then the rest of the herd. I am wanting to breed her in November and want her to be as big as the others. Thinking about leaving her in the corral and feeding her a heavy protien diet to catch her up with the others. How can I safely do that? Is there a level of too much protien?

BK9954":1xzl6ymg said:
I have heifer who had a digestion problem. That is fixed but she is a lot thinner then the rest of the herd. I am wanting to breed her in November and want her to be as big as the others. Thinking about leaving her in the corral and feeding her a heavy protien diet to catch her up with the others. How can I safely do that? Is there a level of too much protien?

If she had a digestive problem, I'd probably let her fatten on grass. Maybe a little feed around the 14-15% mark.

BK9954":3d6z2y37 said:
There is a level that becomes wasteful...she utilizes what she can and the remainder passes through in the urine and manure. Just put her on a nice 11--14% range of crude protein feed but one with a considerable amount of corn and/or fat for energy. Is the frame there for the additional weight you want her to gain without her becoming too fleshy? (aka fat)

I bought her from a cattle dealer who didnt have much history on her. She was skinny when I bought her but figured she was just under fed. I fed her well but she seemed to get worse and she was the only one not chewing her cud. I gave her some liquid probiotics and she started gaining weight and chewing a cud but she is still way behind the others. I figure she was pulled off her momma too quick.

I am letting her graze on the pastures(which havent been well maintained for 30 years), I have tifton 85 hay available all the time and feed maybe 10Lb. of calling cubes per cow per week.