SAF Strategy

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
Anyone ever used this angus bull in their breeding program or seen calves from him?? If so, what did you think,pros and cons?? I am considering him for ai.

Seth was polite about it.

They are brutal, fine, wiry hair that often indicates hard doing cattle. String beans for animals. He is a calving ease bull but he doesn't have anything going for him at all.

Most of the Focus cattle haven't made a positive contribution to the world, Strategy would be an example of that.

We have a Stategy daughter out of a Miner Tribute cow that my son bought this spring...She is a very nice looking heifer (altho in the pasutre they are in, I haven't seen them in a couple months)-- He bred her to Objective for a March calf( wanted to go Magnitude-but by the time we made up our minds, couldn't get the semen)...
She is # 15563779 ......

Ask me in a couple years-because if she is hard keeping or doesn't produce a calf that fits in with the bunch she won't stick around long....

At that sale--the Strategy and Lead On daughters were the hottest items and the highest selling.....

TSR-

we have a strategy bull we use. i don't care for him at all. not enough muscle or thickness to suit. his calves out of our angus cows are very common looking calves - his calves out of our braunvieh cows look a lot better. the only reason we keep him around is to breed replacement heifers.

ROB

Thanks all! I'll probably move on to another bull for consideration.

You might want to consider his flush brother SAF Focus 9095, much more to them in my opinion. He is deceased but I think semen is still reasonable at ~$20 a straw.

I think you are onto the right cow for replacements, consider his half brothers SAF Connection, SAF Directive, even the Big Elban of Sydgen 3023 if you live in the south.

Connection appears to be a much better breeding bull, just the 216 LTD thing isn't overly attractive.

Connection and Corona were two bulls that I looked closely at for this year.

I ended up going with the Select Sires Total bull for our cows that need growth epd enhancement.

MacGinley,

Is that the SAF Directive bull yopu are talking about? I always found him interesting but never used him. You found his calves lacked muscle, that's interesting, I thought they might have been OK. I used his sire Mill Creek Diversity and his sons were nutless wonders but OK otherwise. Directive has a very good sc EPD, too bad his calves don't carry more muscle.

The SAF Directive is one of my favorites just to give a different opinion. The Directive progeny I have seen/own have plenty of muscle. The females might be his thing though, I have a 2 yr old with a superb udder, nice attachment and depth with near perfect teat size. Good mothering instincts.

SEC,

I am no expert but my guess is Diversity through Stockman. I never cared much for Sleep Easy. I saw Diversity he was really really long and thick. I have always liked the Diversity cows I have seen too, if I had to criticize it may be they had too much frame to them.

Yup, that's also why he went from a recommended heifer bull to a bull that was around 4.5 for birth. Long made cattle, lacking character, ordinary. Sleep Easy isn't a bonus in the pedigree either.

Latest posts