saddles?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
So I took my saddle in to get some stitching repaired/fleece replaced and turned out the tree was split down the middle. :oops: Guess I have a lot to learn about saddles. (Whatever accident that saddle was in wasn't my fault, btw!) So I'm in the market for a new (to me) Western saddle and am just wondering... if I want something I can rope off of, what type of build does this saddle need to have? and the horn? have a favorite style, maybe picture of a good saddle you'd be willing to show off? I'm prolly not going to ever rope anything bigger than calves at branding time, just FYI. LOL.

I ride a handmade saddle and probably not what you are looking for but there are several factory saddles that are good qaulity
My wife rides a Hereford with a womans all around tree in it and every woman that has ever rode it fell in love the tree sweeps in a little narrower and up a little in front of the seat
American saddlery makes some good saddles also but they are like alot of saddle manufactures they have a cheap line and a good line

around here a good used saddle will cost $500 and up
I think I paid $1200 for the wifes when it was new and Handmades start at $2000 and go up

I really don't know shyte from shinola about roping saddles MM, but I do have a friend who does quite a bit of tack trading and she helped me immensely in my search for a trail saddle. If you are looking on-line at any of the sites, e-bay, tack trader, craigslist, etc. she told me that the prices on saddles drop considerably after the 1st of the year.

I have a Circle Y flex trail saddle ($1800) that I don't like too much, but my horse does.

Also, have a Blueridge tracker ($400) that I like real well, but my horse doesn't.

So we compromise. We use the one he likes, and I just try to keep it between me and him..........and stay on top.

The thing that puts me off about roping saddles is the weight of them. It's bad enough trying to get a 20 pound saddle installed, much less a 50 pound roper.

I don't rope. But, I have an english, 2 westerns and an Aussie saddle w horn. I use the Aussie. I love it! So does my horse. I bought it used on ebay and of course had to have some repairs but I will NEVER use a western saddle again..............

MM- try to find a good older Circle Y. My husband had one afew years ago..it was older and looked like ithad been broke in the "old way" soaked in water and ridden in til dry, then oiled. Thing was decen to ride and heavy enough if you had to rope a wild one. :)

Onthebit, you sound like my wife person. She got dumped from a western saddle a few years ago, and switched to an Aussie for the extra security. She is totally sold on them now, and wants to get a little bit better one. The one she has is ultra cheap, made out of something that kind of looks like leather. Only problem she has had is getting it cinched up tight enough so it don't slip around. I think we may switch it over to a western cinch system someday. The little butterball she rides is completely round on top and that doesn't help the situation. :cowboy:

Jim62":21jke017 said:
Onthebit, you sound like my wife person. She got dumped from a western saddle a few years ago, and switched to an Aussie for the extra security. She is totally sold on them now, and wants to get a little bit better one. The one she has is ultra cheap, made out of something that kind of looks like leather. Only problem she has had is getting it cinched up tight enough so it don't slip around. I think we may switch it over to a western cinch system someday. The little butterball she rides is completely round on top and that doesn't help the situation. :cowboy:

Well, you can tell her this: On Nov. 1 i went riding and got into a swampy area which my 17 h horse doesn't like in the first place and there were vines around his ankles and he dropped down a few times and I tried to 'force' him through it and he fell on his side which dislodged me from the seat and those damn stirrups DIDN'T come off like they are supposed to and i got dragged for a few steps. Needless to say I did some major ligament damage in the knee and have been waiting for an MRI and can't work. I am walking with a metal brace and cane....So an accident can happen in any saddle and they are no more secure than a western...I did like the comfort of it though...I am very upset the stirrup didn't come off.

My poor horse was so upset he wouldn't come to the fence for a week. Same horse who was standing at the fence whenever he even heard someone move around in the house. I think he was as embarassed as I. Or maybe it was the scream I let out when i heard the ligament tearing!

Jim62":22d5f9qy said:
I have a Circle Y flex trail saddle ($1800) that I don't like too much, but my horse does

The thing that puts me off about roping saddles is the weight of them. It's bad enough trying to get a 20 pound saddle installed, much less a 50 pound roper.

Interesting. I have the Circle Y Flex and love it. IMHO it is a very comfortable trail saddle. Deep seat, high cantle, and great forks. Now ya can't (or shouldn't) rope using a flex tree but they are great for pleasure riding. One mans treasure, another mans trash huh? :D

My roping saddle weighes in at 33 pounds.

If you like the saddle just have the tree replaced.Tree companies make them.The saddle repair guy ought to be able to get one.Find out what tree it is and order that.I have had several replaced over the years.Roping saddles that take a lot of use do break.

I like the Circle Y saddles. Of course I don't rope so I have a Park & Trail saddle that I got off ebay for 500 bucks. It is an older one but in almost mint condition (except somewhat broken in). Very comfortable riding saddle.

My brother-in-law who does allot of roping loves Herefords. He now owns a custom saddle shop and makes his own. I can't even afford to buy one of his for cost :(

milkmaid":3m9qzd71 said:
if I want something I can rope off of, what type of build does this saddle need to have? and the horn? have a favorite style, maybe picture of a good saddle you'd be willing to show off? I'm prolly not going to ever rope anything bigger than calves at branding time, just FYI. LOL.

look at this site. http://www.nrsworld.com/

There are some really nice saddles on that site, Tori. Wow.

I liked the saddle a lot clampitt, but with the leather that needed to be replaced too, I was getting quoted at least $800 to totally redo the saddle (and it needed about everything replaced as it was)... figured I could buy a pretty decent used saddle for that price after browsing Craigslist and similar sites online.

Anyway, I ended up buying one yesterday... I'm working cows Monday through Wednesday and have to have something on that bronc's back so I can ride him. :lol2: (He's the one I'm riding in the avatar.) Stopped by the pawn shop on my way out of town this evening, and they had one that I'm hoping will work. It's in good shape and the tree seems fine, just a 14" seat, looks like it could use a little leather conditioner but I don't think it'll come apart on me. For $148.99 I figured I couldn't go too far wrong, LOL, and I'm sure I can get that back out of the saddle if it doesn't work out. My biggest concern is whether or not the saddle will fit the horse, but I'll know one way or the other tomorrow.

I'll get a picture tomorrow. :p

Latest posts