Saddle Pads

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
I recently bought a new cutting saddle, & the saddle pad I use does not work with the saddle. My mare always has dry spots over the middle portion on both sides of her back & on her withers, where the bars of the saddle would sit I am guessing.

Does anyone have any saddle pad suggestions?

Thanks!

It's gonna fit her either way as much money as I spent on it! Lol

I just need a saddle pad to help it fit better.

So far, I have tried Diamond Wool saddle pads & the one I always use is Professional's Choice SMX Air Ride.

It is not the saddle pad, the saddle does not fit the wither of your horse. You can add a bunch of extra padding to fill in those dry spots but it doesn't do any good, it will only lift your saddle off the back further and make it roll. You will need a breast collar to keep the saddle on.

Angus Cattle Girl":j9lpyxut said:
It's gonna fit her either way as much money as I spent on it! Lol

I just need a saddle pad to help it fit better.

So far, I have tried Diamond Wool saddle pads & the one I always use is Professional's Choice SMX Air Ride.

Well I have to say that I feel sorry for your horse with your attitude. How would you feel if someone made you wear shoes that didn't fit without relief?

Moving on, from what you describe your saddle is bridging which causes pressure points at the wither and loin area. In some cases it is because the tree or length of the saddle skirts are too long for the horse. It can be very painful for your horse and if she exhibits bad behavior that could very well be the cause.

If it is too tight in the withers (indicated by the dry spots), no saddle pad on Earth will fix that. A thicker pad will only make it worse,
One solution that may help would be to get a Skito pad http://www.skito.net/ I would contact them and explain your problem. They may be able to help you. However from what you describe, you really need a different saddle, regardless of how much you paid for it. Ruining your horse is not worth it.

Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestions. As for the sort of attacking, I really don't appreciate it. Yes, I know it's probably not the best thing to still use the saddle, but when it's of good quality & it's one of the only ones I have, I have no choice.

She has almost always had dry spots over her withers, with all of the saddles I used. She also has those white patches of hair from where she previously had ill saddle fit before I bought her.

Regardless of how the saddle is doing, I just need a temporary fix with a saddle pad for now.

Angus Cattle Girl":3gjeeeb8 said:
Thank you for the suggestions. As for the sort of attacking, I really don't appreciate it. Yes, I know it's probably not the best thing to still use the saddle, but when it's of good quality & it's one of the only ones I have, I have no choice.

She has almost always had dry spots over her withers, with all of the saddles I used. She also has those white patches of hair from where she previously had ill saddle fit before I bought her.

Regardless of how the saddle is doing, I just need a temporary fix with a saddle pad for now.

I didn't see any posts as attacking? The posters who indicated you should look at a different saddle have a lot of experince with horses from what I have seen them post in the past. I did a bunch of saddle shopping a couple of years ago, but am nowhere near as knowledgable as the other posters, but I agree with them. A saddle pad will most likely not work if the saddle is pinching the withers.

You indicate you have other saddles or at least one other one, and like the farmerjon asked, did the previous saddle fit? If so, maybe you could sell the newer nicer one or trade it for one that fits your horses dimensions better. Just a thought, not a criticism.

So perhaps attacking was the wrong word.

I don't plan on riding her again until I take her home for winter break, during which I will use my barrel saddle which fits a lot more correctly on her, as opposed to my cutting saddle.

I just hope that this saddle is going to be ill-fitting on all horses. I am definitely ignorant on the saddle fitting part, as I have never had anyone really explain it at all to me. I just thought it would be improved with different saddle pads.

It's tough buying a saddle too when you don't have the option of trying it out, to see if it is going to fit correctly or not.

Angus Cattle Girl":1ujc1kes said:
So perhaps attacking was the wrong word.

I don't plan on riding her again until I take her home for winter break, during which I will use my barrel saddle which fits a lot more correctly on her, as opposed to my cutting saddle.

I just hope that this saddle is going to be ill-fitting on all horses. I am definitely ignorant on the saddle fitting part, as I have never had anyone really explain it at all to me. I just thought it would be improved with different saddle pads.

It's tough buying a saddle too when you don't have the option of trying it out, to see if it is going to fit correctly or not.

you say pads as more than one.
are you using more than one pad at a time ?
are you using a blanket ?
have you set the saddle on the horse with out a pad or blanket and felt around under it to check and see how it fits ?
maybe a wool/felt pad http://teskeys.com/1-heavy-felt-pad.html
and a blanket

I have only tried 2 so far, 1 at a time. The Diamond Wool & my Professional's Choice SMx.

I know for sure my SMx is worn out. I have used that pad every day for probably 2 years. But the saddle did the same with the Diamond Wool. When I get home, I am going to try my Air Ride, alone & with a saddle blanket to see if it helps.

I have never tried just a saddle blanket.

Angus Cattle Girl":3g7fda6k said:
I have only tried 2 so far, 1 at a time. The Diamond Wool & my Professional's Choice SMx.

I know for sure my SMx is worn out. I have used that pad every day for probably 2 years. But the saddle did the same with the Diamond Wool. When I get home, I am going to try my Air Ride, alone & with a saddle blanket to see if it helps.

I have never tried just a saddle blanket.

i wouldn't use just a blanket without a pad
i'd try a felt pad and a blanket.
i'm thinking the saddle is too narrow and the thick pad is making it worse.

The Diamond Wool definitely made it worse because it's so thick. My air ride is in a much better condition. I will have to try that. I want to look into a felt pad, just not sure which brand I should try to focus on.

Wish I knew any saddle fitters around here.

Did you ride this horse with your old saddle much? If so, enough that you know through your horse's disposition and lack of hair rub that the saddle fit and didn't pinch and cause behavior issues? If the answers are yes, stand both saddles on their horns and look at the angles under the seat. Are they the same or is your new one much narrower or wider?
Also, if you bought this saddle from a reputable saddlery, go back and buy a quality pad. Tell them you are having issues with your new saddle and see if they have a return policy.

I had an older roping saddle which was definitely too narrow for her. She's got a broad set of withers, & I'm definitely thinking that is the issue with this saddle, regarding what everyone has been saying.

I used to ride her in my barrel saddle a lot, & I can never recall her having dry spots.

Even with the use of both saddles, she has never shown any behavioral problems, but that also might be part of her laid-back, easygoing disposition.

I will have to compare them when I go home in 2 weeks & then hopefully make a trip to the tack shop to see what suggestions they have. It's a really nice Rocking T cutting saddle out of Greenville, TX. As far as I know, they make quality saddles.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I really appreciate it! Keep the feedback coming if you have any. I will take anything into consideration.

Don't feel bad, most saddles I run into don't fit anything, especially the majority of Western show saddles, those just aren't made to fit a horse. Back years ago when I tranined and showed dressage we would often ride with no saddle pad because they really should not have any bearing on saddle fit. The western type saddles are pretty hard to not use with out a pad because of all the skirting that rubs and the bars are not padded.

Maybe this will help you with your saddle

http://imageevent.com/snithia/saddlefitting

I use this pad for my hard to fit mare. She is wide through the shoulders and withers with a short back. The overall pad is thin with support under the fork of the tree.

35a6vde.jpg

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....0d0204ae5&gas=Professionals Choice saddle pad

Another suggestion is to be sure that the saddle is in the correct place and not too far forward. The tree should be about 2 fingers width behind the top of the shoulder. Sometimes that will make the saddle look like it is too far back, but it really isn't. Proper placement depends on the horse's conformation. Many people tend to place the saddle too far forward on top of the withers.