Saddle Fitting

Help Support CattleToday:

Hobby Farmer

Reaction score
I just got an Arabian horse. Vet says she doesn't have much withers, so I could use a regular quarter horse saddle on her. I got an Abetta full quarter horse bar saddle, but I can only get two fingers between her back & the saddle. Everything I read says you should be three fingers. Can I fix this with a thick pad, or do I need to get a more narrow saddle? Is the space required at the front of the saddle only, or is the saddle supposed to be raised any amount on her back at the rump as well? First horse, if you can't tell. Thanks!

well even with a thicker pad you can put alot of pressure on the withers. i use a pad and blanket but i pull them up at the gullet in a tent. thats right under the saddle horn when i tighten the saddle this takes the pressure off the top and let the bars ride on the side. or invest in a pad that has the wither top notched that will give you more clearance

Hobby Farmer":2vlhkb18 said:
I just got an Arabian horse. Vet says she doesn't have much withers, so I could use a regular quarter horse saddle on her. I got an Abetta full quarter horse bar saddle, but I can only get two fingers between her back & the saddle. Everything I read says you should be three fingers. Can I fix this with a thick pad, or do I need to get a more narrow saddle? Is the space required at the front of the saddle only, or is the saddle supposed to be raised any amount on her back at the rump as well? First horse, if you can't tell. Thanks!

Full quarter horse bars usually don't fit anything very well, that is why a lot of people using them need breast collars. The saddle pad to lift the saddle up higher only will make the saddle fit worse because you are lifting the structure of the tree off the horses back even farther. Usually a medium width with a narrow bar twist will fit the average horse and most wide backed horses better than a flat bar saddled. If you are using a western saddle than make sure the skirting is not binding in the flanks and preventing your saddle from setting down, that is why a lot of Arabian horses have the trimmed skirting saddles just for Arabs. Your saddle should have enough room for you to get your hand, not my big hands - between the pomel and the wither and the end of the bars of the tree should end a couple of inches behind the back point of the shoulder and that should be a basic general rule to help you out.

Good Luck,

Ray

Get a High withers pad and see if it fits better. I use a pad and a Blanket, I know some people dont. If you do, you still need to make sure you tent the blanket or you will be defeatign the purpose of the high wither pad.

"Full Quarter Horse Bars" are for the big mutton backed bulldog horses. 99% of horses are not like that. Even most bred up Quarter Horses use "standard bars." For an even narrower fit like lanky running horses go with "Semi Quarter Horse Bars." I have a dang nice full figured quarter horse with big sores on his back from running full bars on him. Had to break a colt just to have another using horse while he heals. If you're not careful you can break a horses heart by making his workouts painful. Saddle fit is very important. Don't build him up with pads. Just get a good fitting saddle. If you ride regularly or professionally a good saddle is $1500 or more. If only occasionally, get a good pad and a cheaper saddle will do, just make sure it's the right tree for your lad.

Latest posts