Saddest Country Song

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I am a huge Merle Haggard fan, but I had never heard his version of Long Black Limousine until recently. I have to tell you, it's one of the saddest songs I have ever heard. There are a lot of sad songs I'm sure, but is there one that just about takes you down? I googled this song by other artists, Merle's live version is the saddest thing I've heard. Does anyone agree? Is there one sadder?

[youtube]HTgFjqWCwwk[/youtube]

Nearly all these new "country" soungs are pretty sad (in a different way). I get happy when I finally hear one with a steel guitar.

MudHog":35owdsxl said:
Nearly all these new "country" soungs are pretty sad (in a different way). I get happy when I finally hear one with a steel guitar.

Amen. I'm happy my son (he just turned 24) likes the old stuff. He's a big Merle Haggard, Gary Stewart, and Johnny Cash fan. Of course he also likes Taylor Swift, but I'm not sure that's because of her music ;-) .

The thing that got me about the Haggard song is that I'm not usually one to be saddened by a song. I look at "He Stopped Loving Her Today" as a great, great song that I like, but I never actually thought of breaking down when I listened, but that "Long Black Limousine" just about.

What do you all think of this one by Johnny Cash? I don't suppose sad is the right description, but maybe touching is the right word. maybe it's the way he sings it.

[youtube]watch?v=HQTNAtDhXFc[/youtube]

Johnny Paycheck uses a bit of language, but the overall tune is sad. It really gets me when he talks of kneeling in front of the church and saying, "Lord, I know I don't look like much, but I didn't think you'd mind." I remember this one from childhood.

[youtube]0snglP9wkBc[/youtube]

the truth is you cant beat gary stewart or johnny paycheck.an johnny paycheck lived almost like the songs he sang.we was in prision off an on for years.the last time he was sent up it was for shooting a guy in the bar.

MudHog":1at00ew2 said:

Those are Western.

Latest posts