Sad day

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David

Reaction score
The land that we sold to the DOT awile back for the new freeway was logged today...can see the road from the back porch.
Took all of a morning and five acres of timber was on the ground...a trac feller can knock down a 80' pine in less than a few seconds...and they stack the trees and keep on moving. Looked like something out of a Warner Bros cartoon...moves right up to a tree and and in a second it is cut, grappled, lifted and laid in a stack, all in one quick motion.
Will take a bit of something to get use to having a freeway out the back door....could be time to really retire to the country.
DMc

Sad when things like that happen. You need to get out into the Country, or you could plant some of your own trees to cover up the view of the Highway.

Susie David":i9bv853h said:
The land that we sold to the DOT awile back for the new freeway was logged today...can see the road from the back porch.
Took all of a morning and five acres of timber was on the ground...a trac feller can knock down a 80' pine in less than a few seconds...and they stack the trees and keep on moving. Looked like something out of a Warner Bros cartoon...moves right up to a tree and and in a second it is cut, grappled, lifted and laid in a stack, all in one quick motion.
Will take a bit of something to get use to having a freeway out the back door....could be time to really retire to the country.
DMc

It is a sad day. There's a full section of land across the road from us. I hold my breath every time I think about someone buying and developing it. I hope you can adjust to the changes; moving would be even a bigger change.

Susie David":1jl1q5yq said:
DMc

See the highway from the house :shock: City farmer ;-)

Caustic Burno":1wreqz9t said:
Susie David":1wreqz9t said:
DMc

See the highway from the house :shock: City farmer ;-)

If thats your definition of city farmer I guess I am one then :shock: -- since we can see the highway from the house (a mile away) and if you drive 30+ miles down that highway you hit a city (thriving metropolis of 2500 population- give or take a few)....

Sheeeesh - after all these years you find out you've been a city dweller :roll: :p ;-) :lol:

why not sell part of your land to a nice indian family to build a gas station on and then set aside the rest for a nice trailer park. take those proceeds and buy a few acres somewhere where it doesnt snow.

You know thats sad. I have a friend that has land in Kingsbury Tx.. It is the country. The land has been in her family for years. There is 8 siblings that all own 60 plus acres and the old family home that belonged to her grandparents.Now the new Hwy. 130 is going right through the middle of it.

I always hate to hear about farm land being turned into sub-divisions, gov. projects, etc..... Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
A family works the farm for years, and then as it is passed on, it is lost, sold, or taken away by Uncle Sam.

Years ago I wondered why people made so much out of the Spotted Owl and the Snail Darters. It keeps people from coming in and raping the land and changing the way things have been for the people there. You have to have a reason for "money hungry people" not to come change the way of life for many.

Seems most of the time, a company or someone that isn't local comes in and tears it apart.

They logged a very large woods down the road from my house a few years ago. I played many summers there, and it made me sick at my stomach every day when I could hear the chain saws and the machinery running. I felt like a "tree hugger" and I thought I saw a Do-do bird run into the woods!!
Chuckie

Latest posts