Sad Day for the Simmental Assocation

Help Support CattleToday:

Bronco

Reaction score
Would you believe that they reinstated the papers of a heifer that they suspend that was supposedly bred naturally by an 18 year and 3 month bull at conception? Talking about longivity for a bull. Our association has just opened the door for a lot of bogus papers. So it you have a good club calf they is part or mostly Simmental, register it as a Simbrah and you can kick butt on the show ring. Be sure you choose a sire that is very old and dead and state if was naturally bred. Don't worry if you get questioned. All you have to do is threaten a lawsuit and they will let you do as you please.

They reinstated the papers? :mad: That ticks me off. What's the purpose of papers if things like this are allowed to happen?

Both the grand (dob: 2-21-2004) and reserve from Ft. Worth failed dna, and now I see that they have changed the sire on the reserve champion heifer (dob: 1-16-2005) to that 18 year old bull too, which would have made the bull 19+ years old when the dam was bred. Same breeder. I can't believe after all of this, the ASA didn't do what they said that they were going to do. :oops:

I've got a Maine embryo calf out in the pasture that the recip was a Simbrah and right now she's standing beside a Simmental cow, so I think that I might register her as a Simbrah. She'll kick butt in the showring against Simbrah's.

What's everyone think about it? Good idea? :D

I think I'll call that breeder and get me one of those bulls that can breed champion calves at 18 to 20 years old. :roll:

In order to compete in this breed, I think you need to register your Maine as a simbrah. Be careful though and make sure the bull you choose is dead and you several calves from the same sire to cross check dna with. The maine brothers and sisters will work just fine. Can't prove they are not a simbrah so you can register the calves.

A wise old man once told me the only way to conduct business was to not be concerned about what the other guy is doing, just pay attention to how you go about your own business. You know, Jesus Christ said the same thing. Always sounded like good advice to me.

I'm appaled that no one at ASA has the backbone to stand up to the breeder / exhibitor in this one. "Lawsuit", you've GOT to be kidding? A lawsuit against who? Why don't they sue the breeder for falsifying papers? This is a joke.. I'm ashamed to belong to that organization. If all the juniors that were entered in that show scratched, it would sure send a message. This has totally destroyed the credibility of ASA in my opinion. Those guys need to all be replaced with someone with a SPINE.

Does anyone have the e-mail address of the breeder??? I'm interested in leasing the fall pasture rights off of Jays Bob 223T. Has to have longevity & great maternal genes!! Seriously would like to have his e-mail...

JDI":1pc971tz said:
Does anyone have the e-mail address of the breeder??? I'm interested in leasing the fall pasture rights off of Jays Bob 223T. Has to have longevity & great maternal genes!! Seriously would like to have his e-mail...

Check your PM.

AAOK":9x98di5z said:
A wise old man once told me the only way to conduct business was to not be concerned about what the other guy is doing, just pay attention to how you go about your own business. You know, Jesus Christ said the same thing. Always sounded like good advice to me.

Well when it affects my business it is my concern. This puts a bad mark against Simbrah's. Who would want to buy a true good Simbrah heifer to show, when you could be showing against Simmentals and other mixes in the same Simbrah show? If the ASA won't do anything about these heifer's or the breeders, it is just opening the door for other's to do it.
Some are already fudging on birthdates. You would be surprised at how many show heifer's a ranch will sell following a win at one of the major's.

AAOK":28msjgs7 said:
Who would want to buy a true good Simbrah heifer to show, when you could be showing against Simmentals and other mixes in the same Simbrah show? If the ASA won't do anything about these heifer's or the breeders, it is just opening the door for other's to do it.
Exactly. I totally agree with you. I've been disappointed in how other breeds have allowed breed mixing (i.e. the Chi association which only requires that a calf be 1/8 chi to be registered as such) and have felt pride in the fact that my breed hasn't yet fallen prey to it. Then something like this happens. I don't understand why people feel the need to be deceitful. If you breed a good Simbrah, show it and be proud of it. If you breed a good crossbred heifer, show it as a commercial and be proud of it as it is. The thing is, the main tool in this whole problem was not the exhibitor. It was her...coach so to speak, who I shall not name. You want a name? PM me. Though most of you Texas Simbrah people out there should know who I'm referring to. I don't understand why after you've been banned four or five times from a business, you're still allowed back and allowed to be instrumental in the way it's run.

Because no one wants to create a "scene" or "stir the pot". The really unfortunately thing is that now the correlation with the word "Simbrah" will be "lying breeders". It's a slap in the face to the organization, and up to this point, I thought it was a good one. It's beginning to develop into another ABBA.

I went to the Show Box magazine and looked at the picture of Ft. Worth champions. Heifer lacked breed character IMO. Since when did it become a bad thing to have a little Brahman look in cattle that are supposed to be Aneican breeds?

BC":36qhq6st said:
I went to the Show Box magazine and looked at the picture of Ft. Worth champions. Heifer lacked breed character IMO. Since when did it become a bad thing to have a little Brahman look in cattle that are supposed to be Aneican breeds?
Exactly. And from what I'm told, during the judging, the judge kept saying that heifer didn't look like the others in the class. But, he ended up giving her the win. What was told to me was that the judge is just supposed to judge what's put in front of him. And in the case, she would have come out the better heifer compared to the others. She won our county with that heifer, too.

BC.. I've also voiced the same opinion! If the judge(s) would seriously consider "breed characteristics", this whole ordeal would have been prevented.. when she stood at the bottom of the class! If a judge is going to pick an obvious "non eared" champion from a class of American cattle, he shouldn't be judging american breeds.

TheBullLady":1yi3tyaz said:
BC.. I've also voiced the same opinion! If the judge(s) would seriously consider "breed characteristics", this whole ordeal would have been prevented.. when she stood at the bottom of the class! If a judge is going to pick an obvious "non eared" champion from a class of American cattle, he shouldn't be judging american breeds.
My point exactly! This sort of reminds me of a documentary I once watched in a Canine Science class which showed how sometimes breed associations can be ineffective. The example they used: the registered a litter of 12 nonexistent Golden Retriever puppies sired by a stud who was dead.

Well both of these questionable calves won their "Simbrah" classes this morning at Houston.

Not positive, but, I think they said that the older of the two heifer's pulled Reserve Grand Champion Simbrah.