Sad, but not surprised.

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I'm done my degree. It's official; I thought I passed my stats, but according to the mark I got back, my real official mark that is submitted thru the regristrar, I didn't.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about finding more funds for a loan for another year.

Now I dunno whether I will go back and pursue another degree or not, but as of now I'm done. :|

And I'm not surprised at all either because this semester was a real schittzen of a semester anyway; the worse I've ever had. And it's showing up now.

But try not to feel sorry for me....

Karin, you got your degree congratulations..Well done and I am very proud of you..

You have had a h#ll of a load the last couple of years and have managed to plow through them..

Good job girl ,be proud of your accomplishments... :heart:

So what's next ? I know you are going back to the vet clinic ,,then what? Are you thinking of furthering your education towards animal health ?

Well I didn't exactly get it, rather can't continue anymore...but yeah your right I do still have it; a good 4 years of it. :)

Edit: I am doing my summer job at the vet clinic, just finished a whole week and a day of it already; fingers are recovering and so are my feet, but I'm back at it again tomorrow...it's been great thus far. :)

I dunno what I'll do if I do go back to school...i'm thinking of going to tech colleges like NAIT to pursue a welding or mechanics certificate or something, or even a farming course. Who knows...

sorry to hear that you didnt do as good as you thought.but this maybe a sign telling you to start your own herd.an work at the vets till you decide what you want todo.

Thanks for that. I do know it sure would've been nice if I would've completed it, but of course, some things just aren't meant to work out the way they should.

My money is on you being successful at what ever you set your mind to.

IluvABbeef":m48f3l66 said:
I'm done my degree. It's official; I thought I passed my stats, but according to the mark I got back, my real official mark that is submitted thru the regristrar, I didn't.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about finding more funds for a loan for another year.

Now I dunno whether I will go back and pursue another degree or not, but as of now I'm done. :|

And I'm not surprised at all either because this semester was a real schittzen of a semester anyway; the worse I've ever had. And it's showing up now.

But try not to feel sorry for me....

You've had some bad times the last few years. Perhaps a break will be good for you. But don't feel just because you're out this year that you can never get a degree. Lots and lots of people get degrees later in life. Good luck.....

Can't you do a correspondence course through another institution to earn the credits needed to continue?

I am a little confused. Let's make sure I am understanding this right......you just finished four years of university studies; but did NOT get the degree and your GPA is not high enough for U. of Alberta to let you enroll in the fall???

Frankie & mnmt: Thank you.

Harley: I could if I didn't have that one period where I had to make an appeal from that one year that I bombed my Physics course and spent the following year on probation. They give a one-strike-then-your-out deal in this institution; keep your GPA at at least 2.0 and you'll get through; if not then your out. In other words if I could continue I might, but if they actually offer that I really don't know. If I could continue I could also retake the Stats course as well. But apparently.... :(

Brandon: Sorry for the confusion. I do have the degree in a such a way that I have taken the courses in the degree but actually recieved official conformation that I have completed my degree. In other words I have my degree unofficially, even though I haven't recieved any papers on it, or had completed all courses to officially complete it. I know it sounds confusing but that's they way I see it. Since my appeal and probationary period I have had to try to keep my GPA for both semesters as well as the full year above 2.0, and yes, because my overall GPA is not high enough I cannot enroll back into the U in the fall.

HS: Sounds reasonable yes, if I am/was allowed to go back. But like others have said I think the best thing to do is to have a bit of a break before I decide to go back to school or not.

You use different terminology than what I would typically hear in Alabama to describe the same thing so I needed clarification. IF I understand this right, you HAVE completed all of the required coursework and have passed the necessary hours to get the degree; but U. of Alberta won't give it to you because your cumulative GPA does not come out at 2.0. They won't let you reenter school because you have been on academic probation before and by rule you don't get a second chance to enroll with a sub 2.0. Are they requiring a 2.0 in the core curriculum (the required stuff) OR in the cumulative total (ie core plus electives)???? As much time, money, and effort you have already expended on this I think I would spend a week going from office to office asking for HELP and (if that gets me nowhere) annoying people......people in the department, in the college of Agriculture, in administration, etc. Maybe a prof can change a grade someplace if you are this close. Maybe somebody will let you reenroll some place. Bother Deans, the U. President, etc if you can get in. If folks won't talk to you face to face (and that will mean camping out in their waiting room) send them letters, faxes, phone calls AND emails and document all correspondence and all meetings. They don't OWE you a degree; BUT a lot of times arm twisting does work. Demand that they manually calculate these numbers themselves while you watch on (the numbers are right; but nobody likes to have to do math.) Don't let a computer generated letter descide this issue. Talk to actual people.

Brandonm22":38gnx7aq said:
You use different terminology than what I would typically hear in Alabama to describe the same thing so I needed clarification. IF I understand this right, you HAVE completed all of the required coursework and have passed the necessary hours to get the degree; but U. of Alberta won't give it to you because your cumulative GPA does not come out at 2.0. They won't let you reenter school because you have been on academic probation before and by rule you don't get a second chance to enroll with a sub 2.0. Are they requiring a 2.0 in the core curriculum (the required stuff) OR in the cumulative total (ie core plus electives)????

Correct, but I still had 9 more courses to complete before I could officially complete my degree. I think that's where your confusion could also be coming from.

They are requiring a 2.0 in the cumulative total, like from all the courses I took during the year.

Still haven't recieved my statement of results yet nor a letter from the U, so I'll wait til then to see if I can do any arm twisting.

Like Frankie said. With all that has happend to you and you are still coming through,and you are young yet.
Your whole life is ahead of you and having known you on cattle today there is no doubt in my mind you are going to make something of your self and look back on this episode and laugh.

You go girl. Cal

So all you would be wanting from them is to get back into school somehow. You never know how rigidly somebody enforces their rules; but I see hope in this scenario. I don't know enough about Canadian law to comment; but in the U.S. this might be one of those times where you want to talk to an attorney about options.

IluvABbeef":2ozu2djr said:
But like others have said I think the best thing to do is to have a bit of a break before I decide to go back to school or not.
I think you are right.
You knew the performance level required and came up short. Why? Do you really know the answer to that question. If you could get back in at this time do you think your performance level will have changed this fast?

Do you eally think it would be in your best interest to get in a hassle with the school trying to get back in by trying to crawl under the fence at this time.

You have been through some hard stuff. Take some time to rest, regroup, reevaluate yourself and what you really want to do and the best course of action.
You are young. give yourself some time.

Best to you.

I disagree with Ryder on this. Life IS a struggle. When somebody pushes you, you hit them hard (with a baseball bat if possible). You really don't have any leverage in this scenario, so you have to make up for it with zeal. Sometimes the best thing to do is to back down; but generally the best policy is to attack and attack hard over and over again on as wide a front as possible to see if somebody turns tail and runs. Nobody likes having their day interupted by whiny, obnoxious, demanding people over and over and over again. Most of the time the other side doesn't care enough about their rules to fight you over a point and you can USUALLY do some sort of a deal, especially with a multi layer organization where you can shop for somebody with the answer you want and it is not really their money so at the end of the day they really don't care. Sheep placidly follow the rules. Everybody else breaks them down, runs over them, or ignores them whenever possible or convenient. Only honor a contract when it is in your long term best interests to do so (and yes sometimes you have to bite a bullet for your reputation) . In all other scenarios (like this one) you want to renegotiate.

You are only 9 courses away from a degree. You are going to have to pay for 4 years of student loans any way (I don't know about Canada; but in the U.S. the only way they don't come due is to stay in school). I would put all my remaining chips into knocking out those 9 courses and raising the GPA to 2.0, IF that is AT ALL possible. Again Canada is a strange place I have not yet visited; but in the U.S. the AVERAGE person WITH the 4 year degree makes $900,000 MORE over his/her lifetime than the AVERAGE person without ANY degree ($2.1 mill versus $1.2 mill, Day and Newberger 2002 ). My thinking MIGHT be different if you got sent home after 2 or 3 semesters but you have banked EIGHT!!! You have come too far, bled too much, and worked too hard NOT to fight the Last battle.

You put this off and life has a bad way of putting many more obstacles in your path. Certainly AT LEAST talk to your academic advisor, the dean, and an attorney to see what your options are before making the decision to surrender.

Brandonm22":2lyuby5f said:
You put this off and life has a bad way of putting many more obstacles in your path. Certainly AT LEAST talk to your academic advisor, the dean, and an attorney to see what your options are before making the decision to surrender.

Good advice here for you ILB. You have had a difficult time, but gather some strength from somewhere, anywhere and don't let this slide by without a fight. You can do this, you have faced worse.

Brandon, I understand your will to encourage me to continue on and try and finish my degree and to bug everybody who is responsible for the grading and faculty, but with all honesty I just feel that I need to rest up a bit before I decide to do anything more. I know I haven't said this before, but I honestly felt that I was not cut out for all the sitting down and studying and book work that is involved with a university education. I have mentioned this countless times to my folks not just this semester, but throughout my other years. And yet I plowed though. I learn way better hands on than from reading a book; because there is so much you can learn from a book, but with hands on experience it can get you quite a bit farther. I love hands on learning; I was hoping that I could go to one of those colleges that have hands-on learning like down at Lakeland College in Vermillion, AB or Olds in Olds, AB or at NAIT. But that was after the fact. Me and my folks thought that the U of AB might be the best way to go for me; along the way I had almost said I've had it a few times. And I'm pretty sure you can figger out what times those were.

I didn't go down without a fight a couple years ago with my appeal. Physics didn't work out for me because I didn't feel I needed it, but instead I took it under the influence of my folks; and you know, after I got the mark (and statement of results) part of me wanted to quit, but another part said to keep fighting, get an appeal sent in and see some folks about it. But this time, its different. I just didn't have my heart in it anymore, and I don't know if I do go back if I do get out and fight this if I still will want to complete it. Like I said before, I have this deep gut feeling that I need to take a break.

Thanks again to everyone else for your kind words. :)

Edit: I have actually banked around 12 semesters; I had taken spring and summer courses during the first few years. And it is about the same as the US, student's don't usually start paying off student loans until after they are done school. But I think there are some that can pay off loans during school, if they have a job along with the school.

Latest posts