Sad and depressing.

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
I went by the hospital to get a disc of my MRI to take with me to my doctors appointment this coming Friday.

While in the waiting room a young woman who looked to be in her 30's brought a young lady in a wheel chair into the waiting room. Whom I would guess might have been in her early teens. Maybe older or younger. When someone is practically a skeleton it is hard to tell.

Her right leg had been amputated about 8 inches below her knee. The woman who brought her in was I assume the girls Mother.

The girl had some type of mental disability, she was trying to scream or maybe yell out due to pains she was having. Poor girl her screams didn't sound like nothing I have ever heard before. If you couldn't have seen where the screams were coming from. You wouldn't have known they were coming from a human.

I heard the Nurse ask her Mother if the girl had ever had kidney stone's. Maybe that was what was causing her pain.

Thought to myself how terrible it must be to be in that much pain and not be able to communicate where you were hurting.

The girls Mother just had a blank stare on her face. Really felt sorry for them both. Can only imagine how helpless the girls Mother must feel.

About the same time that happened a young woman about 5 foot 8 inches tall walked by. She was practically a skeleton. I couldn't beleave someone could be that skinny and be able to walk, let alone stand up.

Was looking around the waiting room at all of the people. It's was pretty bad. If your able to get up of a morning and go to work. You better be thankful for everyday you get to do that.

I have spent some time in hospitals the last 5-6 years, and while on the post surgery recovery floor, it's not unusual to hear someone down the hallway screaming. Sometimes in pain (but usually not), more often screams of some kind of a mental source.
I think the worst was a woman just a few years older than me screaming "Get me out of here, Let me out of here, Get me out of here! George, where are you, come get me George!"

It went on for several hours.

There, but for the Grace of God go I.

Last edited:
I went by the hospital to get a disc of my MRI to take with me to my doctors appointment this coming Friday.

While in the waiting room a young woman who looked to be in her 30's brought a young lady in a wheel chair into the waiting room. Whom I would guess might have been in her early teens. Maybe older or younger. When someone is practically a skeleton it is hard to tell.

Her right leg had been amputated about 8 inches below her knee. The woman who brought her in was I assume the girls Mother.

The girl had some type of mental disability, she was trying to scream or maybe yell out due to pains she was having. Poor girl her screams didn't sound like nothing I have ever heard before. If you couldn't have seen where the screams were coming from. You wouldn't have known they were coming from a human.

I heard the Nurse ask her Mother if the girl had ever had kidney stone's. Maybe that was what was causing her pain.

Thought to myself how terrible it must be to be in that much pain and not be able to communicate where you were hurting.

The girls Mother just had a blank stare on her face. Really felt sorry for them both. Can only imagine how helpless the girls Mother must feel.

About the same time that happened a young woman about 5 foot 8 inches tall walked by. She was practically a skeleton. I couldn't beleave someone could be that skinny and be able to walk, let alone stand up.

Was looking around the waiting room at all of the people. It's was pretty bad. If your able to get up of a morning and go to work. You better be thankful for everyday you get to do that.

Very true we all take alot of things for granted many times. I used to care for a young girl with cerebral palsy. She didn't walk, talk, had a feeding tube, had to have breath treatments, and to be sucked out (not sure that's the correct term) . I say she didn't talk, she could clearly knew yes or no when I asked her something. She is very intelligent person. She is high risk for getting sick doesn't go out much. When she gets sick it's a big deal she can end up in the hospital which the closest that really cares knows how to care for her is 2 1/2 hours away.
I know of a woman that's daughter has a brain injuries.... she has done more than most ever through she would. I believe she will continue to recover. I have throught about her many times and wonder if she was in pain and can't tell anybody.

Her story is really a miracle. I know God is with this little girl and continuing to heal.

I used to be a skeleton like that... I had ribs showing and I had muscles. I have thyroid problems. If my medication is off I get real skinny. I can eat non stop and still lose weight. Or I got the other way. 🙈

I'm half way through week 3 of chemotherapy and radiation, I see it 5 days a week. Some of the people are so frail it saddens me. I walked to therapy daily until today (4 miles round-trip) can't do it anymore with the radiation dermatitis flaring up. Can't imagine having a wheelchair. I'm lucky 17 treatments left.

I'm half way through week 3 of chemotherapy and radiation, I see it 5 days a week. Some of the people are so frail it saddens me. I walked to therapy daily until today (4 miles round-trip) can't do it anymore with the radiation dermatitis flaring up. Can't imagine having a wheelchair. I'm lucky 17 treatments left.
Well Named'em Tamed'em I am proud of you. You hang tuff brother.

My MIL just died of cancer. It was the most horrific thing i've ever witnessed. She stayed home with us taking care of her. One day, we knew she was going to be gone by the days end. I was leaving for the evening and i told her buy, she had been unresponsive all day, and she answered, 'See you later'... Stopped me in my tracks. The next day, she was almost normal. She called all her sisters, she ate, she sat outside with us and we all had a very nice time. This was called, The Rally. Hospice told us it was very common. She did this 3 times until she finally died. But, my worst experience was spending months in childrens hospitals with our middle daughter. I knew we were going to leave the hospital with our daughter, a lot of families went home without their child.. There was this room, they'd call you to this room to give you bad news. I watched many parents called there, I did not want called to that room. Daughter had a stroke, collapsed lung, among other problems due to the open heart and spinal fusion surgery she had. there were 5 total. Anywhoot, she's now a mother and police officer.. I did not like staying at childrens hospitals... didnt like it at all

Went through this myself. Hang in there. It will get better.

Hospitals are depressing places even though they save countless lives.

Several yrs ago a friend of mine sold his feed store and land and kinda retired but still cut hay in the summer. A year later his youngest daughter got married and moved out. I'm gonna guess he was in his mid fifties at the time. When his daughter left him and his wife moved out of state to do volunteer work at a childrens hospital. A good friend of his told me that when he got to the hospital they ask him how he wanted to help and his reply was this. How about getting me a wig, big shoes, and a clown nose so I can cheer these poor kids up. So amoung other things he dressed up and visited kids all day. I saw him a good while after he left and he said it was the most rewarding thing he's ever done. We haven't seen him in about a year so not sure what he's up too. He was always a good guy, a little dry on the humor but really nice guy.

My nephew had Lukemia when he was 3 so we spent several years at the hospital and helping out with him. It was depressing and hard times but he's 21 now and probably 6'1" 200# so he got through it just fine. There's always hope

This brings back the sheer he!! of taking Mr. TC to the ER in Wichita a few months ago. The 2 hospitals in our county didn't have an orthopedic surgeon available until 5 days later and with a significant compound fracture, he needed treatment a.s.a.p. But we were the lucky ones. There were zero rooms available in Wichita, but ER can't refuse a patient. Our hospital made arrangements with Wichita, and we were able to bypass the horror of all the people in the ER in the middle of the night (in a not-so-great part of the city). But by bypass, I mean we were in a curtained section of Ready Care instead of the hallways & waiting area, which was an eye-opener that included the aforementioned screaming/crying, blood, police all over the place and "loved ones" literally outside, smoking weed.

I'm just happy to wake up in the morning, not to be confused with happy when I wake up.
Add to that, when I was young I wondered why old people got up so early. Now as I'm older I know it was because they hurt so bad they couldn't sleep any longer.

My mother is in the hospital right now. You see a lot of people and you say to yourself, death is not always a bad thing. Visit a few nursing homes if you want to see people in bad shape. That is one place that depresses me. I would rather go out like a light bulb as get stuck in one of those nursing home jails.

Last edited:
Not sure which is worse-cancer or the dementia/Parkinson's/neuro diseases. I've worked in cancer centers for 25 years. When it's bad, usually it's a 2-3 year battle through a lot of hell, but typically organs essential to life stop working and the actual end is relatively fast. There are good endings too with cancer-many actually are cured, especially recently with new treatments.
Dementia and a lot of neuro stuff is a molasses-slow removal of someone's capacity to function as a "regular" person, and drags everyone who cares about that person along for the ride. The cruddy part is that the rest of the body doesn't know it's losing its battle with life-the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys-all just merrily pump away because that primal part of all of us in the brain stem is the last part to check out. Those nursing home jails? There isn't a choice for many, because there aren't enough people around who can do 24 hour care with no one else to lend a hand. Sad and depressing? Cancer has given me witness to many beautiful events-living and end of life. Dementia is an entirely different world to travel in. We'd all like to fall asleep and wake up in heaven. The lucky ones get to do that-but there is still usually a "they were too young" story to go along with it.

Last edited:
Not sure which is worse-cancer or the dementia/Parkinson's/neuro diseases. I've worked in cancer centers for 25 years. When it's bad, usually it's a 2-3 year battle through a lot of hell, but typically organs essential to life stop working and the actual end is relatively fast. There are good endings too with cancer-many actually are cured, especially recently with new treatments.
Dementia and a lot of neuro stuff is a molasses-slow removal of someone's capacity to function as a "regular" person, and drags everyone who cares about that person along for the ride. The cruddy part is that the rest of the body doesn't know it's losing its battle with life-the heart, lungs, liver, kidneys-all just merrily pump away because that primal part of all of us in the brain stem is the last part to check out. Those nursing home jails? There isn't a choice for many, because there aren't enough people around who can do 24 hour care with no one else to lend a hand. Sad and depressing? Cancer has given me witness to many beautiful events-living and end of life. Dementia is an entirely different world to travel in. We'd all like to fall asleep and wake up in heaven. The lucky ones get to do that-but there is still usually a "they were too young" story to go along with it.
My Dad had CLL for years, was on a clinical trial with Rituxan which extended his life by years. He died of complications due to CLL. My mother had vascular Dementia and died of complications from Dementia. Not much good to say about either condition.

Latest posts