Sac a lait time!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Close to my house is an Oxbow lake that still gets flooded by the Mississippi in the spring and early summer. My dad has a old fishing raft that we anchor in this lake (Old River). Well the water is starting to drop slowly, and that only means one thing: THE FISH ARE BITING. Got a report earlier today that the sac a lait (Crappie) are biting like crazy, and the striped bass are too. So this Saturday morning, my dad, me and my youngest (John) will be out at dawn doing our best. For those of you that haven't had sac a lait, they are great. Here's a pic from last years trip in August of '08. The picture is of me and my boy John. This year, I'm way skinny because of the cancer, but I wouldn't miss the great time with my dad and son. Little things like this are what family are all about :)

meandjohn.jpg

I envy you Cypress.....would love to have a "big mess" of them white perch. Ain't nothing sweeter nor more fun to catch.

So we went fishing this morning; my dad, myself and my only son (the two daughters would never get up at 5 a.m.).
My son was so excited he couldn't stop talking on the way to meet my dad at the lake. We even saw an alligator (about a 10 footer) on the way. He was in heaven:

My dad and son:
johnandpawpaw.jpg

So we start fishing and our total catch within 2 hours was 1 bull bream, 2 striped bass, 1 catfish, and 1 small bass. Pitiful. I think the water level needs to drop a little more.
So what do you do with a 4 year old boy when the fish aren't biting and he's bored? Paw Paw lets him drive the boat!

johndriving.jpg

That boy and his grandpa are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. :clap:
That picture is a treasure. Treasure it and keep it safe for that boy for future years.

Terrible thing about those boys getting killed in that boat wreck the other day. Boats and alcohol do not mix. :mad:

Ryder":3hjyr967 said:
Terrible thing about those boys getting killed in that boat wreck the other day. Boats and alcohol do not mix. :mad:

Ryder, your from southeast LA. We live on False river, an old ox bow lake about 30 minutes northwest of Baton Rouge. In the summer, so many people come up on the weekend from Baton Rouge - it gets dangerous. It's to the point where "locals" only go out boating duting the week, and let the weekenders have it all for Saturday and Sunday. Most of the people that come up are "well off" and their kids all have new jet skis. So many people buy riverfront land from Baton Rouge, they've driven the price over $2000 a running foot along the bank. Doesn't matter how deep the land is, but how many running feet of land you have on water. Strange.

cypressfarms":29j7loqp said:
Ryder":29j7loqp said:

Ryder, your from southeast LA. We live on False river, an old ox bow lake about 30 minutes northwest of Baton Rouge. In the summer, so many people come up on the weekend from Baton Rouge - it gets dangerous. It's to the point where "locals" only go out boating duting the week, and let the weekenders have it all for Saturday and Sunday. Most of the people that come up are "well off" and their kids all have new jet skis. So many people buy riverfront land from Baton Rouge, they've driven the price over $2000 a running foot along the bank. Doesn't matter how deep the land is, but how many running feet of land you have on water. Strange.

Funny thing, that sounds a lot like Northern MN with the lakes and lakefront property. Just nuts on the weekends around here.

Great pic of your Son and Dad, a real treasure for sure.

You look great cypress, and I am so glad to hear that you are on the mend. Your little boy is adorable and I love the pic of him and grandpa. That is indeed what life is about ,being with those you love and making sure they know how much they mean to you each and every day. You are doing all the right things. Sounds like you are great dad, husband ,father and son..

Latest posts