SA NEUTRON 377

Help Support CattleToday:

PATB

Reaction score
Anyone else using or have used sa neutron 377? I have used him 4 breeding seasons and I am please with his offspring. Does anyone have suggestions of which "GENEX" bull to breed his daughters to?

PATB":3okwv3f4 said:
Anyone else using or have used sa neutron 377? I have used him 4 breeding seasons and I am please with his offspring. Does anyone have suggestions of which "GENEX" bull to breed his daughters to?
Neutron is a very Terminal bull. His heifers will be a little high maintenance and with that 3.5 BW 7.3 Frame bull - you need to breed them back to a low BW like Canyon, Desperado, or Ext 473. Do not use the Bando 5175 - too much New Trend 315. Alliance is a choice if you are not concerned with BW. & he will add scrotal. All said - i would breed to Traveler 011 if it were me and I were hung up on Genex. 6807 sons with a scrotal are hard to find and he has it, plus the depth of body, heart girth, etc for more easy fleshing - I just hope the New Trend in his pedigree is far enough back to not bring that hard keeper into your herd even though he is in Neutron 377.

Ext 473 is no longer available from genex. We have some of his daughters in the herd. The neutron daughters that I have are nice deep broody animals. I am not a fan of canyon or bando 5175 calves that I have seen. Traveler 011 did not cross well with our bloodlines and we have none of his offspring left. I have several young sitz alliance daughters this year that were in the 60 lb bw range. I have been using alliance and bcc bushwacker 41-93 on Schurrtop supreme daughters. Genex is the only AI service available in my area.

PATB":34gfnx3a said:
Ext 473 is no longer available from genex. We have some of his daughters in the herd. The neutron daughters that I have are nice deep broody animals. I am not a fan of canyon or bando 5175 calves that I have seen. Traveler 011 did not cross well with our bloodlines and we have none of his offspring left. I have several young sitz alliance daughters this year that were in the 60 lb bw range. I have been using alliance and bcc bushwacker 41-93 on Schurrtop supreme daughters. Genex is the only AI service available in my area.
I was afraid those traveler 011 would bring back too much Trend blood. Have you just bought from breeders rather than the AI studs? I have quit using them a long time ago. Semen can be shipped easy - even to Maine! Most of the bulls in the studs are very Terminal - 6.0+ Frame. With those big Neutron calves - you will be feeding all your profit up - especially since you seem bent on fighting Mother Nature on calving season.

The 3 neutron females I have over 1 year of age are 5 FS. They are deep wide body females remind me of the cows we bought that had strong wye influence. I would not mind have alot more of them.

Not to change the subject.... but Pat B, I just bought my first registered heifer, and she comes from Wye bloodline. All I know of Why is that it is old breeding. Can you give me some info on that? She is an angus Eileen of Volga 0340, registration # 14561108, and was born 03/02/2003, with a tatoo # 0340. I think that is all the info you need to look it up through American Angus Association. Then give me your opinion, what would you breed to? By the way Neutron 377 is my FAVORITE genex bull! :)

Anonymous":kls82vvv said:
Not to change the subject.... but Pat B, I just bought my first registered heifer, and she comes from Wye bloodline. All I know of Why is that it is old breeding. Can you give me some info on that? She is an angus Eileen of Volga 0340, registration # 14561108, and was born 03/02/2003, with a tatoo # 0340. I think that is all the info you need to look it up through American Angus Association. Then give me your opinion, what would you breed to? By the way Neutron 377 is my FAVORITE genex bull! :)
For your first - you sure bought one of the greatest you could buy!!! Very few have found cotton's herd - but those Manning daughters will be your best cow. I will buy back any calf- bull or heifer if bred to my Fabron 454 bull (- Might even give you the semen if I get a guarantee on the calf. Manning of wye goes back to the linebreeding of Fabron of Wye, then on Dam side you have The great Shoshone breeding of Pied Piper and Shearbrook Shoshone. Larry Leonhart has bred more productive cattle than most ever dream about. Your heifer will be good- what ever you breed her to- but don't breed to just any old common bull- you have a good one!(see http://www.larrysansom.com for fabron 454 pedigree etc)

PATB":116l2czt said:
The 3 neutron females I have over 1 year of age are 5 FS. They are deep wide body females remind me of the cows we bought that had strong wye influence. I would not mind have alot more of them.
How are you getting 5 frame cows from a 7.3 frame bull??Sounds like we really do like the same type of cattle- old wye blood. That is why I have gone to such lengths to find the Fabron of Wye son - out of Viking & E-31 dam side.I am AI this next year to Andelot of Wye -10769432 the double bred Fabron & old Prince of Malpas bull. U of Maryland would only sell 10 straws and only after looking at my breeding program were they convinced to sell it to me. Also try some of Cottons bulls Manning of Volga and Big Don of Volga for real depth of body, muscle and the old Wye blood in tight linebreeding.

How are you getting 5 frame cows from a 7.3 frame bull??Sounds like we really do like the same type of cattle- old wye blood.

larry I have been breeding neutron to the old style angus cows that are fs 4 and 5's. This year I breed him to some high 5 and low 6 cows. If a cows is taller than we like we breed her to a smaller fs bull. The cows have to make it on grass, hay and mineral supplement if they fail they are sold off. We try to select ai bulls that come from operations that are foraged based.

Not to change the subject.... but Pat B, I just bought my first registered heifer, and she comes from Wye bloodline. All I know of Why is that it is old breeding. Can you give me some info on that? She is an angus Eileen of Volga 0340, registration # 14561108, and was born 03/02/2003, with a tatoo # 0340. I think that is all the info you need to look it up through American Angus Association. Then give me your opinion, what would you breed to? By the way Neutron 377 is my FAVORITE genex bull!

I would use a War Hall of Fame 8023 since he throws small calves and they grow extremely well. His daughters have more frame than I like. After the first calf I would use a bull of neutron 377 or bushwacker 41-93 caliber they both have good calfs.

Latest posts