S.H.T.F. Preparedness

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
This whole Texas deal has me asking myself am I prepared for something like this and the answer is NO... How could you ever be prepared for this ??? I mean alot of us have a huge supply of bullets atv's rtv's trucks etc but there is really no real way to be prepared for stuff like this that i can think of short of owning a barge to put your cattle and motorized vehicles on. What can you do to be prepared for a flooding? I do not live in direct flood planes but really I would like to know some suggestions that some of you going through or been through this can advise some of us who haven't. This is really something I have wondered about since this happened. Please offer up serious suggestions as this may truly help one of us someday.

There are are only 2 ways to prepare for that much precipitation:

1. Contract Noah to build you an Ark.
2. Live where there is high ground and steep hillsides.

You can't ever be prepared enough. Some things you can't really prepare for at all as you stated.
You can certainly make an educated guess about what to be ready for based on where you live but there is no amount of storing water that would have made the drought in CA any easier for me. The fires in Kansas swept over highways like they weren't even there so no fire break was going to stop them. You can fill your house with stores in case you get flooded in but it won't do any good when the Cajun Navy is bumping the bottom of their boats on the roof of your house like I heard about this morning.
I think the best preparedness might be to jump in and help however you can when someone else's world is falling apart and hope they'll return the favor when it's our turn.

The tornadoes that hit Huntsville Al in 2011 cut every power feed into the county. What stopped anarchy is the fact that everyone knew it would be over soon.....13 days in my case. It was a "piece of bread will buy a bag of gold" situation. Obviously not as severe as that but you get the idea.

What's going on in Texas looks worse.

Sky,

52 inches of rain has fallen in Houston. Its a coastal plain. The relief (distance from high point to low point) is probably less that 50 feet. Absolutely no way to mitigate that kind of event. Nature is still King!

The way our place lies, if we get flooded I'll wait for the guy with the ark to go by and hitch a ride.

Sky after losing houses,vehicles, even kin folks in hurricanes IMO you can never be prepared enough. Every storm seems to educate you a little more.
All you can do is try.

around me a flood is pretty much impossible.. IF we got anything close to that kind of rain, yes, our intake system would no doubt be washed out, as well as lots of roads, but with a 400 ft drop down to the river, we still aren't going to flood.

Fire on the other hand is the one we worry about most.. really hard to prepare for, I try to have the cattle graze the roadways a little to mitigate that side of it, I'm gathering up firefighting equipment, pumps, hoses, tanks, etc and my neighbor does as well.. might SUCK to breathe the smoke, but as far as buildings burning down we're pretty good, hayshed would be in the biggest danger and we're looking to put some semi automatic sprinklers around it... The cows will be fine except for the smoke, I have lots of green fields that won't burn to put them in.

Snow.. well, we're quite prepared there.. there's hardly anything that can stop me from feeding, and I'm quite alright not going anywhere for a week or two... Might have to shovel snow off a couple roofs though.

skyhightree1":d4fm4e6j said:
This whole Texas deal has me asking myself am I prepared for something like this and the answer is NO... How could you ever be prepared for this ??? I mean alot of us have a huge supply of bullets atv's rtv's trucks etc but there is really no real way to be prepared for stuff like this that i can think of short of owning a barge to put your cattle and motorized vehicles on. What can you do to be prepared for a flooding? I do not live in direct flood planes but really I would like to know some suggestions that some of you going through or been through this can advise some of us who haven't. This is really something I have wondered about since this happened. Please offer up serious suggestions as this may truly help one of us someday.

Nothing can prepare you for something like what's happened in SE Texas.
But if your on low ground and have livestock, I'd be real friendly with my neighbor on the high side.

callmefence":2az55xro said:
skyhightree1":2az55xro said:

But if your on low ground and have livestock, I'd be real friendly with my neighbor on the high side.

Andy,

Are you in high country?

Bright Raven":2dskgeip said:
callmefence":2dskgeip said:
skyhightree1":2dskgeip said:

Andy,

Are you in high country?

One of the highest spots in miles

Caustic Burno":2fybzbe3 said:
Sky after losing houses,vehicles, even kin folks in hurricanes IMO you can never be prepared enough. Every storm seems to educate you a little more.
All you can do is try.

Been wondering about how our Tx members were faring.

Water would be over several lake dams and have ran down the Trinity long before my house or farm ever flooded. We worry about tornadoes here.

1. Solar cell phone/I-pad charger.
2. Maps in each vehicle and a couple of preplanned evacuation routes.
3. Don't focus on one specific emergency scenario. If this happens/then this - is better.
4. Look at flood zones and high ground before you buy. I found it was easier to buy away from the beach and commute. Always purchased land that had multiple sources of water and house on a steep hill (makes mowing a pita).
5. Would guess most people on this forum are a step ahead of the general public. As a group probably/possibly more self-sufficient. Just a guess.

skyhightree1":2h1hrqmn said:
TexasBred":2h1hrqmn said:
Just checked...we're 1027' above sea level.

256' here
Even those altitudes have flood zones....creek runs through our pasture came out....few hours after it stopped raining it was low enough to cross. Only problem now is it is trying to silt in.

1982vett":1fnq5tiq said:
skyhightree1":1fnq5tiq said:
TexasBred":1fnq5tiq said:

256' here
Even those altitudes have flood zones....creek runs through our pasture came out....few hours after it stopped raining it was low enough to cross. Only problem now is it is trying to silt in.

I agree.. I just don't have any creeks near me or anything if anything floods it will be the pasture itself the low spots

1982vett":gtq1774s said:
skyhightree1":gtq1774s said:
TexasBred":gtq1774s said:

256' here
We have several creeks and rivers within a half mile. We're a couple of hundred feed higher then they are. We are an island at times but we don;t get flooded

Latest posts