S A V Ten Speed 3022 thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Luckiamute

Reaction score
I would love some feedback from those of you here on Cattle Today who have used the Genex Black Angus bull S A V Ten Speed 3022. Have you kept any of his heifers? How are they doing? What kind of cows are they turning into? I'm especially curious about feet issues, given Ten Speed is sired by Tex X 7008 and is out of a cow sired by Bismarck, both of whom didn't fare well in that first American Angus Association footscore research EPD report. I personally have never really had any feet issues with Bismarck daughters in my small herd, but have no experience using Tex X. Would also be curious about udder quality and teat size. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

My neighbor used him on his commercial Herd. The steers grew well and the replacements have turned out to be very eye appealing. That's all I know about him. He didn't use him anymore

Hogtiming":3f57cyhw said:
My neighbor used him on his commercial Herd. The steers grew well and the replacements have turned out to be very eye appealing. That's all I know about him. He didn't use him anymore
I wonder why he didn't use him again?

We have 3 first calf Ten Speed Heifers. One is out of a Charlo heifer and she is beautiful, with good feet and legs. The second is out of an Eliminator cow. She has really bad feet and is a larger framed heifer with not great fleshing ability. (Dam also has bad feet) Third one has average foot quality
I think he crosses better with cows that could use a little extension/frame

He's a bull that seems to be overlooked because SAV has so many other bulls that sell for huge money every year and the fact that he is $40. He has the best numbers (for SAV) with regards to marbling and CEM. I think Herbster's bulls never get a chance because they all are $40. I think SAV Pursuit is a bull that would have done much better if he were given a chance at a lower price. How many bulls (that are alive and not show animals) are priced at $40?

40 bucks seems like a lot, but when you factor in that Herbster semen is packaged with 40 million cells per straw it is actually a really good value.
I know that Ten Speed has much better CED than most Schaff cattle, but i'd have a hard time recommending him over Resource, International, etc who have great feet and structure. They make awesome females.
We only had 3 Ten Speed bulls, but they all got sick and died, so I may be a little bit biased.

10 Speed sold for $260,000.00 in 2014.
I've watched the bull with a twisted interest because my ex is one of the group who bought him. :pop:
Only thing I wondered about was why it took the group of owners so long to feature progeny in any of their sales. He sold in 2014 and he's just this year a featured sire in most of their production sales. Ten Speed's sire, Ten X, has terrible feet-that came straight from an Accelerated rep. Otherwise, I have no knowledge of the bull BUT if I was given straws I'd throw 'em away. That's just my opinion. :2cents:

Chocolate Cow2":21lrj1jz said:
10 Speed sold for $260,000.00 in 2014.
I've watched the bull with a twisted interest because my ex is one of the group who bought him. :pop:
Only thing I wondered about was why it took the group of owners so long to feature progeny in any of their sales. He sold in 2014 and he's just this year a featured sire in most of their production sales. Ten Speed's sire, Ten X, has terrible feet-that came straight from an Accelerated rep. Otherwise, I have no knowledge of the bull BUT if I was given straws I'd throw 'em away. That's just my opinion. :2cents:
That is one of my concerns with Ten Speed ... his sire has bad feet, though not all Tex X sons and daughters have bad feet. It is reason for concern though. Very valid point. Thanks.