ryegrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B

Reaction score
where the sand meets the clay in South Carolina
How many of yall overseed your pastures to ryegrass in the fall? Do yall drag it in, no till it, or just plain overseed it? What varieties do yall use? I just over seeded my pastures last fall with Gulf Annual ryegrass and had fair results. This year I am going to drag it in with a fixed tooth harrow and keep my cows of it until around Valentines Day I hope.

Campground Cattle":1goi3s3v said:
Overseed then mow around the first of October always get a good stand.
Does the overseed then mow method work in a thick bahia thatch? I plan grazing close the bahia pastures that I plan on overseeding until the first of October and then I would overseed them and drag them hard afterwards. My Daddy overseeds his yard in the early fall with ryegrass and then hits it with a dethatcher and always gets a good stand.

I only have fair results with overseeding...I get excelent results when i disc plant and drag....the seed has to find soil to germinate...most will eventually make their way through the bahaia, but it takes longer..i usually take a chance and plant in mid sept..(i know its still hot) i have a good stand by mid nov..and graze until late may...the bad thihg about this way of planting is that if you don't get rain when the rye is gone your summer pasture is late comming in.. last year i grazed from november until the first of april cut 3.5 big bales of hay per acre and then re grazed until mid june...we had plenty of rain...lucky i guess..

we drilled in rye grass last year after the wheat was off. Grazed it lightly before cold weather set in, then the cows could not keep up with it in spring. It worked for me. Theory is to let cows graze it lightly before it goes dormant over winter to help it tiller. I am in SD, so don't know if this info is usefull to your area?

Anonymous":x7dz87n9 said:
we drilled in rye grass last year after the wheat was off. Grazed it lightly before cold weather set in, then the cows could not keep up with it in spring. It worked for me. Theory is to let cows graze it lightly before it goes dormant over winter to help it tiller. I am in SD, so don't know if this info is usefull to your area?
Would be nice to know what part of S.D you are in
Could be very interesting to others in your area.

last year i planted gulf..I've used Marshall in the past had about the same results with each...i have planted as late as thanksgiving and started grazing mid jan....my grass always does best after january and the first top dressing...people say rye grass is a cheap feed..i don't think it's cheap by the time you fertilize it two to three maybe four times, but is is excelent forage and there is nothing more beautiful than a herd of cows fat in grass with big calves standing knee deep in green sucking adripping bag..my hay last year was 20%..put it up early..had to fluff it four days and it still burned n the middle (turned black but the cattle eat it down to the last straw...it is so hot here in the summer, i find my best growing is nov to june that's why i plant grass..

Interesting discusssion. We have toxic fescue with a very good stand of white clover for dilution. We drill Wrens Ab. into our Bermuda hay fields for winter feed, have drllled Marshal ryegrass in the past, but prefer rye because it is less competitive with the Bermuda in the spring - at least here in GA.

What interests me is that when I spoke with our forage experts at UGA about seeding ryegrass into our fescue pastures, they advised me not to because of the high costs. Has anyone taken this into consideration? :???: . Cost of seed, fertilizer, tractor time, etc. vs. just buying good hay and feeding that, or stock piling fescue (if you have it). I don't need more expense, I need less expense :santa: .

Thanks. Bill

We have no-till drilled in gulf rye grass for the past 2 years. I have been happy with the results but I have noticed that where I put the rye grass the native summer grasses are weaker.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1iutpayj said:
Campground Cattle":1iutpayj said:
Overseed then mow around the first of October always get a good stand.
Does the overseed then mow method work in a thick bahia thatch? I plan grazing close the bahia pastures that I plan on overseeding until the first of October and then I would overseed them and drag them hard afterwards. My Daddy overseeds his yard in the early fall with ryegrass and then hits it with a dethatcher and always gets a good stand.

Well I have about 80% bahia the rest is common bermuda, and World crap that is dying since the rain stopped.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":kmhqu344 said:
Yes, I heard that World Feeder was a major hoax. I might try the overseed and mow on a pasture this year.

The best cow feed and winter pasture that I have is always my elbon rye run a disc over it after seeding.

Campground Cattle":13gzgoc7 said:
.[/quote:13gzgoc7 said:
The best cow feed and winter pasture that I have is always my elbon rye run a disc over it after seeding.

Campground, when are you gonna plant your ryegrass? About mid Sept? or when. As you are mostly west of me and only about 40 mi north I am wondering about the difference in planting times.

I don't think it is that expensive(for us). We broadcast the seed @ 50 Lbs/ acher early in Sept. then shred down any weeds a couple of weeks later. We fertilize once in Nov. with 40 - 60 lbs N. We continuously rotate our cows on a 18 - 24 day rotation the whole time. I have found that if the summer grass is grazed short before planting the ryegrass the better.
We have left out the fertilizer in the past but we seem to need a little pop of grass before the cold starts to set in. The cows have more to graze and the grass seems to come back in earlier in the spring. We have also put out multiple fertilizer applications and this delays our summer grasses that need to be doing well by July because we really dry out from July to August.
But this is our environment and everyone's is different.

MrBilly":j2du7ft0 said:
Interesting discusssion. We have toxic fescue with a very good stand of white clover for dilution. We drill Wrens Ab. into our Bermuda hay fields for winter feed, have drllled Marshal ryegrass in the past, but prefer rye because it is less competitive with the Bermuda in the spring - at least here in GA.

What interests me is that when I spoke with our forage experts at UGA about seeding ryegrass into our fescue pastures, they advised me not to because of the high costs. Has anyone taken this into consideration? :???: . Cost of seed, fertilizer, tractor time, etc. vs. just buying good hay and feeding that, or stock piling fescue (if you have it). I don't need more expense, I need less expense :santa: .

Thanks. Bill

la4angus":3krqpprh said:
Campground Cattle":3krqpprh said:
.[/quote:3krqpprh said:

Campground, when are you gonna plant your ryegrass? About mid Sept? or when. As you are mostly west of me and only about 40 mi north I am wondering about the difference in planting times.

Plant first week of October I have had better luck then, and the doves don't get near as fat.