ryegrass vs wheatb

Help Support CattleToday:

gitnby

Reaction score
been sowing 20lb. ryegrass per acre last few yrs...thinking might sow wheat next fall....know some of you do.....im thinking wheat might grow faster in winter and provide more grazing.....what would be cost difference and would you put fertiiize on it at sowing ? if so how much?.............thanks for the help

I prefer wheat to ryegrass in every way with the exception of ryegrass volunteering one established.
I wouldn't sow wheat out on top of the ground like some do ryegrass. It needs to be plowed in or better yet drilled into prepped ground.

I prefer wheat to ryegrass in every way with the exception of ryegrass volunteering one established.
I wouldn't sow wheat out on top of the ground like some do ryegrass. It needs to be plowed in or better yet drilled into prepped ground.
We've had good luck sowing wheat on top of the ground, works real well if you go back over it with a tire drag. In my area you don't dare put steel in the ground unless you want to pick up rocks until next year. If I was in an area less rocky I would probably disc lightly.

We've had good luck sowing wheat on top of the ground, works real well if you go back over it with a tire drag. In my area you don't dare put steel in the ground unless you want to pick up rocks until next year. If I was in an area less rocky I would probably disc lightly.
I certainly can relate to rocky ground.
Anything can work with adequate rainfall. Which we don't get. I'm still thinking you would get more out of your seed by drilling. I could be wrong.

been sowing 20lb. ryegrass per acre last few yrs...thinking might sow wheat next fall....know some of you do.....im thinking wheat might grow faster in winter and provide more grazing.....what would be cost difference and would you put fertiiize on it at sowing ? if so how much?.............thanks for the help
No location given... talk to local growers or ag extension.

In general winter wheat responds well to phosphorus placed with the seed when drilling, but you run the risk of salt burn to the seed with nitrogen, especially in dry or sandy soil and would probably be better off applying it in the spring.

With the way our fall precipitation has been, I think the fertilizer is going to be hit or miss. Especially the N side.

Both wheat and ryegress require water. That's been the problem a few years in a row now.

I'm with you on trying wheat though. I might actually try a rye, wheat, triticale mix this coming fall. I know some in Mid US that do the mix with success. Gives you options for the weather I think.

With the way our fall precipitation has been, I think the fertilizer is going to be hit or miss. Especially the N side.

Both wheat and ryegress require water. That's been the problem a few years in a row now.

I'm with you on trying wheat though. I might actually try a rye, wheat, triticale mix this coming fall. I know some in Mid US that do the mix with success. Gives you options for the weather I think.
We do that mix here in north Texas with good results as long as water happens. Makes good baleage also

gitnby, are you able to tell if you get any volunteer Ryegrass since you have been planting for a number of years?

gitnby, are you able to tell if you get any volunteer Ryegrass since you have been planting for a number of years?
That is my goal this year. Got a third of my pastures I drilled it last fall. If any comes up, I'm seing to it that they make seed.

Don't want to pay for it again if that's even possible.

Next species will be an improved crabgrass. Read of a guy in NC who uses regress for cool season and RR crabgrass for warm season. Some legumes too. Everything set seed and he no longer seeds anything. His gains were pretty good if I remember right. He uses plenty of polywire and reels.

been sowing ryegrass for several years now.havent had any volunteer come in,which is suprising because lots of crop fields are covered with it in the spring....crabgrass has been a lifesaver for me last few years but have talked with neighbors that have planted crabgrass that said it came in good 1st year then not again..........yes, i'm in middle tn....think the guy next to me said he used red rive r crabgrass.........how much wheat seed per acre do yall put?

gitnby, you MUST let it make a good seed crop the first year! Pereniation should be no problem after that. Light tillage is helpful. Contact RL Dalrymple at Elstel Farms in Oklahoma.

Latest posts