ryegrass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Just wondering if its any good? Found some square bales that were fertilized and in the barn so I thought about picking some up and just wanted opinions on it. Oh yeah is is okay to feed to horses too.

Thanks ahead of time :D

Jogeephus":u67laifv said:
Can be good stuff, depends on at what maturity it was baled like any other grass.
theres nothing wrong with feeding rye grass hay.around here your 1st cutting is winter grass.if it looked or smelt real bad i doubt id feed it to horses though.

If baled right, it is good hay. I have a neighbor who has around 25 horses and he grew and baled rye hay this year and he is getting along well feeding it to his horses

stocky":3urv2xvb said:
If baled right, it is good hay. I have a neighbor who has around 25 horses and he grew and baled rye hay this year and he is getting along well feeding it to his horses
rye hay is not the same as ryegrass. I baled some perrenial ryegrass hay and it turned out with a lot of stalk and no leaf. I baled some annual ryegrass and it was real great stuff.

J":r9esizzu said:
Just wondering if its any good? Found some square bales that were fertilized and in the barn so I thought about picking some up and just wanted opinions on it. Oh yeah is is okay to feed to horses too.

Thanks ahead of time :D

Ryegrass hay can be excellent if fertilized and it is cured correctly. The cells walls of the stems are extremely thin and highly palatable.

I'll take it over bermuda anyday if it's put up right. I'll take it over bahia EVERYDAY! :lol:

Hayray, either I am not understanding your terminology or in our area the terminology is different. The only ryegrass we have in our area is the rye that is planted each fall and either pastured in the spring or cut for hay in the dough stage. It is called rye or ryegrass interchangeably and one of the main brands is Koolgrazer, although there are several different brands. No one cuts it for seed in this area. It is all rye and ryegrass is another word for it, but around here it is the same plant. Maybe I am just a little dense on this one.

stocky":3dfjpfsx said:
Hayray, either I am not understanding your terminology or in our area the terminology is different. The only ryegrass we have in our area is the rye that is planted each fall and either pastured in the spring or cut for hay in the dough stage. It is called rye or ryegrass interchangeably and one of the main brands is Koolgrazer, although there are several different brands. No one cuts it for seed in this area. It is all rye and ryegrass is another word for it, but around here it is the same plant. Maybe I am just a little dense on this one.

Rye is a plant that produces grain (like wheat, oats) it can also be grazed.

Ryegrass is a grass.

KenB, Thanks, Rye, the plant that produces grain, is the only rye that is planted here. It is pastured and is also cut for hay. People call it ryegrass, I guess because it is the only rye that people here grow. People cut both rye and wheat here for hay. Many times, they are grown for a cover crop for alfalfa, clover, or fescue and orchardgrass. Wheat is generally used more where you are going to make a good seed bed. Rye is used more where you arent going to make a good seedbed.

Latest posts