Rye Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
I have a rye grass patch that I am wanting to put my cows on. I have heard it will make them scour if left on too long the first few days. Can anyone on the boards tell me what is too long?

If you put some hay or straw out it will help alot to limit the squirts, not that green grass squirts usually poses a problem.

You could limit the time on pasture but it won;t do much good if they don;t eat something else that's drier during the time they're not on the rye grass. If our cows know there is anything green they won;t touch hay no matter how long you try to keep them away from the green stuff. Whne almost any grass is in the vegetive stage vs reproductive stage and it has a lot of moisture in it the cows will have the squirts.

garseer":256r05ly said:
So is there no need to worry or should I limit the time on the pasture for a few days.

Thanks

I usually don't limit them, but if you still have old stockpiled pasture you can stretch your rye grass much further by keeping the cows on the stockpiled pasture or even drylotting them on straw and only allowing them to stripgraze the rye grass for 2-3 hours a day.

My plan was to limit their time on the grass and call them to the feed trough and take them off of the pasture and just rotate it like that until they had gotten used to it. I will have hay for them also, but around the feed trough.

garseer":3og1s42y said:
My plan was to limit their time on the grass and call them to the feed trough and take them off of the pasture and just rotate it like that until they had gotten used to it. I will have hay for them also, but around the feed trough.
I don't know your situation with your cows, but if you have ryegrass and hay, I don't see the need of the feed trough.

1982vett":89xpxt9n said:
garseer":89xpxt9n said:
I don't know your situation with your cows, but if you have ryegrass and hay, I don't see the need of the feed trough.

I agree

thats just the green grass squirts.an they will get over it in time.i just wouldnt stand behind them.hay will firm them up.

KNERSIE":5vvm55xq said:
1982vett":5vvm55xq said:
garseer":5vvm55xq said:

I agree

Sometimes you need some incentive to leave the section of ryegrass so you can close the gate behind them.

Mine will be limited. They are on it now. When the grass is gone, they'll move back to another pasture. The rye is heading out. The rescue under the trees is no longer getting sun. The clover is only 2 feet tall but oh well.

Latest posts