Rye Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in the northern third of Georgia and was wanting to know if it is a good idea to overseed with winter rye. Is it time to seed now, or is it to late. I have about 5 acres. Also, which way would be best to do the overseeding. Thanks.

[email protected]

Overseeding ryw should give you early spring grazing. Contact your local NRCS office, they will have recommendations on when to seed and what cultivar is best for your area. A no-till drill would be the best solution. Next best wood be a conventional drill followed by a cultipacker. Your local NRCS office may have a no-till for rent, or you may be able to find a neighboe or local that can/will do it for you. If you don;t have an NRCS office close by, check with the major seed companys, i.e. Barenbrug, Pennington, etc. about the best time to plant. You just have to realize that each company will be pushing they're particular cultivar.

dun

> I live in the northern third of
> Georgia and was wanting to know if
> it is a good idea to overseed with
> winter rye. Is it time to seed
> now, or is it to late. I have
> about 5 acres. Also, which way
> would be best to do the
> overseeding. Thanks.

David, I live in central Texas do we are about on the same latitude. Now is the time to over seed with ryegrass, not rye. I have used Marshall and I beleive another is ribeye. Drill shallow, and the optimum conditions for germination and establishment is 3 days of wet cloudy weather. Ryegrass will give you some late winter early spring grazing.

> I live in the northern third of
> Georgia and was wanting to know if
> it is a good idea to overseed with
> winter rye. Is it time to seed
> now, or is it to late. I have
> about 5 acres. Also, which way
> would be best to do the
> overseeding. Thanks.

[email protected]

> Davisd, I'm in Central AL and have just overseeded my Bahia w/ Gulf Annual Ryegrass. I use Gulf because it's earlier maturing and let's the bahia come back on when I need it to. You should also think about seeding some clover in...Crimson is what I use here..and it adds good grazing as well. I overseed with my spreader after making sure that the pasture is either grazed down hard or run the bush hog over it. I spread the seed right before a rain and have always had good success. Some folks throw some nitrogen down at the same time but down here I'd just be encouraging the bahia to come back out..I usually put about 60 pounds actual nitrogen down after the grass is up about 5-6 inches...then will hit it again w/ nitrogen around February. I limit graze mine by turning the cows in only about 2 hrs each day. With the crimson clover in there it's best not to turn them in too long or when they're really hungry because of the risk of bloat. Hope this helps...

[email protected]

> David, I live in central Texas do
> we are about on the same latitude.
> Now is the time to over seed with
> ryegrass, not rye. I have used
> Marshall and I beleive another is
> ribeye. Drill shallow, and the
> optimum conditions for germination
> and establishment is 3 days of wet
> cloudy weather. Ryegrass will give
> you some late winter early spring
> grazing. Mike H. I live in TN. and am just now getting up my last round rolls of hay due to the wet weather. I am considering sowing some rye sometime between now and the end of Oct. Your opinion, would it still come up and do ok and be available for grazing say by Jan or Feb.? Also is there much difference in the quality of different rye seeds? I have been priced rye from $7 per 50lb-$13 per 50lb. I was just wondering if the more expensive was that much better? Thanks. TSR

[email protected]

All seed packaging is regulated by the government. Required items are on the label. Some key things to look for are:

"PLS" = 'Pure live seed'. This item is a percentage of the actual volume of seed in the package that is expected to germinate. For example if a bag of seed has 75% pure live seed per pound, then the "actual" number of pounds of seed in the package will be about 125% of the 'per pound' price of the seed.

Second, there will be a percent figure of weed seeds and/or other non-labeled seeds in the bag. These percentages should be VERY low, so that the vast majority of the seed in the bag are what you want--e.g., "Brand X Ryegrass".

Ryegrass will germinate at a very cool temperature since it is a cool season grass. And, is fairly fast to germinate (as are oats).

Finally, there is a "germination percent" on the label. Seed in the 80 to 90%+ area would be considered excellent seed. Any germination percent below 70%, I would increase the seeding rate to correspond to the reduced germination percentage. For example, if the rate is 50%, I would sow the seed at double the usual rate.

[email protected]

Thanks for the info on ryegrass overseeding. I aeratored first and put Marshall seed, lime and fertlizer recommended by farm supply. Rain is supposed to move in tonight and all day tomorrow. I hope I got it right.

[email protected]

Latest posts