rye grass seed.

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
how much is perrenial rye grass seed and what variety is best for kansas,alos should i mix in clover and at what rate? is fertilizer neccassary?

Broadcasting or drilling? About 22 lbs per acre broadcast or just say a half a bag. Yes, if you don't have clover its a good addition but seed size is dependant on variety. Typically it will run you about $12/acre for ryegrass and $8 for clover. Ball park.

Jogeephus":1xa5gxo0 said:
Broadcasting or drilling? About 22 lbs per acre broadcast or just say a half a bag. Yes, if you don't have clover its a good addition but seed size is dependant on variety. Typically it will run you about $12/acre for ryegrass and $8 for clover. Ball park.
i plan on broadcasting.will fertilizer be neccassary? when is the best time to plant?

I don't fertilize until it gets about ankle deep. If you plant the clover don't look for anything much out of it in the way of nutrition until it starts to break down. Probably won't notice it then either but its there.

You've definitely found some cheaper perennial grass than I can get a hold of. Looked into it and the cheapest i found was almost $100/bag sheesh!

Flacowman":1ld1pzn7 said:
You've definitely found some cheaper perennial grass than I can get a hold of. Looked into it and the cheapest i found was almost $100/bag sheesh!
Are you wanting perennial or annual ryegrass. In the south, most all of us use annual ryegrass as the perennial's just can not take the summers. Annual ryegrass seed ranges from $48 to $56 per cwt.

we use annual but I was gonna look into perennial. Just finished the last patch last week actually on ryegrass. So you say the perennial isn't actually perennial down here? :lol2:

Flacowman":34pk10tm said:
we use annual but I was gonna look into perennial. Just finished the last patch last week actually on ryegrass. So you say the perennial isn't actually perennial down here? :lol2:
No...ryegrass in the south can't take the heat. It doesn't go dormant, it dies. Gulfcoast ryegrass is a good reseeder so can act like a perennial but isn't. Other varieties may produce more forage but I'm not sure how well they reseed themselves.

We have a few patches of ryegrass that have been there for almost 40 years that have always managed to reseed themselves. Looks like we'll just keep reseeding every fall like we always have over most of our pasture

Latest posts