Rye grass question. Will this work?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, provided it gets some more moisture after it germinates, but I always have better luck putting it out and have a rain fall on it soon after.
Having said that, the very first seeds I notice coming up will always be around the edges of the tanks and in the low lying areas that were muddy when I put it out--and of course, on pretty fresh piles of poop..

Worst scenario--put it out on wet bare ground, it germinates then turns warm and sunny and ya don't get a drop of rain for weeks.

Kingfisher":1scp5qd2 said:
I really wanted to turn this field over but somebody wadded up the disk against a tree...
Hate it when that happens.

GB, Wild mustard is coming up already. Don't see the ryegrass but the yard is now green instead of yellow.

Kingfisher. I just don't have a good feeling about what you want to try. If you got 10 days like we had in the spring where it sprinkled and drizzled every morning it probably would work. I think you need something to break up the crust and give the seed good ground contact. On an up note, this was a really good rain for getting volunteer to get started.

I rarely disc for ryegrass but do for oats and wheat. For just ryegrass, I just graze it down as short as can be and then sling the seed out with the cone seeder or spreader.

I've got to were I always try to drill ryegrass. Even if I can only get in a quarter inch, success is much better. I still sling it out were it's to tight to get a drill, but you need several damp days. Or a good pounding rain to work it in. It will sprout in the bed of your truck, and it will die there to. Were already starting to get a crust in areas exsposed to wind and sun. If you can drill , disc, roll or drag with anything it would be best. Don't plan on getting it up on just slinging it out on the rain we just got. Work on getting it on the next rain. At least you have good moisture under it now.

I always over seed my rye grass . I either graze it short first or put the rye grass out and turn the cows on it for a few days so they can walk it in .

Kingfisher":10zdamxk said:
Rye needs to touch dirt. Can you lay it on really wet dirt and expect anything?

You shouldn't have any problems with it coming up just by broadcasting. I put out 500 lbs just before this last rain. Checked it today and it's sprouting. There was no discing. I did mow the acreage first but that was it. Used one of those 3 point funnel shaped spreaders. The setting of 7 that is recommended for ryegrass is BS. That setting puts out way too much. Was trying for about 30 lbs per acre.

James T":2fgdjh75 said:
Kingfisher":2fgdjh75 said:
Rye needs to touch dirt. Can you lay it on really wet dirt and expect anything?

You shouldn't have any problems with it coming up just by broadcasting. I put out 500 lbs just before this last rain. Checked it today and it's sprouting. There was no discing. I did mow the acreage first but that was it. Used one of those 3 point funnel shaped spreaders. The setting of 7 that is recommended for ryegrass is BS. That setting puts out way too much. Was trying for about 30 lbs per acre.

Man that's a good topic for a thread right there. Mine seems to be about a 2.5 . setting for 30 pounds per acre. I've marked mine with a sharpie. Every 25 pounds for ryegrass and marks for fertilizer. Helps me get it dialed in.

You guys that are drilling rye, how deep are you going with it? I've abondoned drilling it, and only broadcast it.

Bigfoot":39t6e5zd said:
You guys that are drilling rye, how deep are you going with it? I've abondoned drilling it, and only broadcast it.

Not very. I graze the pasture down and use a old van brunt drill with single disc. Unless the ground is very soft I have it set on the deepest seting. It takes a little longer but I have better succes were can get it in a little bit. I'm looking for 1/4 to 1/2 inch but anything's better than laying on the ground. I use a three-point wirlybird as well but mostly in wooded areas were I can't use the drill. I have a double disc drill and I've found it will not work for this, needs a prepared seedbed

bigbull338":37mjql4v said:
we just use a 3pt seeder to put out rye grass or clover.
the cone type?
TractorGypsumLime.jpg

i have 2 of them and find them very slow and unreliable when it comes to putting out the right # per acre, not to mention the small capacity. I'd hate to know I had to seed 100 ac with one, but not too bad on small plots under 20ac.
I'm looking for a used drill.....that won't break my wallet

Latest posts