Rye Grass and Rye Grain (cereal) Hopes

Help Support CattleToday:

etmountianman71

Reaction score
Well I am testing out some winter and spring fields here to see what the pets, I mean cows, will like and to see how it grows. Not the best comparison with fields but willing to see what results come about.

If I get the results plan on settling more rotational grazing plots with both.

My grandfather has always said (and I've seen it firsthand) that cattle prefer all of the other small grains to rye in a mix and will let it seed out and stop growing unless you're stocking really heavily. That being said, in a pure stand, they love both crops and will eat them well and they're great nutritive value

The cereal rye is growing really fast, and coming up fairly thick. I was a little worried as I broadcast it in place of using a no till drill. Will post some pics later. It has a week head-start on the rye-grass and you can tell it. It is really greening up.
Also to help out we have had a few weeks of off and on steady rain, not drown outs. Happy about that.

etmountianman71":28v4tlcw said:
The cereal rye is growing really fast, and coming up fairly thick. I was a little worried as I broadcast it in place of using a no till drill. Will post some pics later. It has a week head-start on the rye-grass and you can tell it. It is really greening up.
Also to help out we have had a few weeks of off and on steady rain, not drown outs. Happy about that.

I might be misreading your post, but it looks like you drilled it. I've never had luck drilling it. I only get a stand, when I throw it out on the ground.

I apologize if misled, I broadcast it by hand, walking the fields (also getting good exercise for a fatman).
Used a disc to cover up some and other let it lay.
Both doing really well, caught the cows eyeballing it today through the fence.

On the opposite side of the world here I put in some ryegrass/clover on the last couple of days of February into good moisture which equates to the last couple of days of summer. It did very well and I got a good cover of it before winter. Another patch I did in early May and while it all germinated pretty well it has been very slow and is just starting to get going now in our 2nd month of spring. The earlier sown rye along with clover gave usefull feed over winter though the clover was faster to recover after a grazing.
I have not planted cereal rye but my neighbour who has good success with Tetila rye never puts it in until the first couple weeks of winter.
Ken

We drilled in Marshall rye grass a couple a week ago. It was a little early. Last year I was a little late. I suppose we got it right cause it's coming on with all this rain we have had. We are the first in as far as I have seen. I've done it last year and 3 before that but haven't done this good previously probably because of doing a bad job of timing the environment coupled with adequate fertilization. Could be incorrect planting or just bad luck.

There are probably more reasons I could list but I hope it ain't the latter.

I'm trying to throw my hat in the ring the next day or so. You just need som dirt and a little rain I hear ...

I broadcasted the rye grass and fertilizer, and drilled the winter rye. Hopefully the cows will be able to get a mouth full or two.

Latest posts