ryan, ok

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
anybody here familar with the area that can give me the good, bad & ugly ?

i have looked around the area a little and it seems to be good cow country.
lots of bermuda pastures
sits in the red river vallley or flood plain or whatever you call it.
locals say native pature takes 8-10 for cow and bermuda about half as much, but i don't know about lime or fertilizer requirements.
it's rural but henrietta tx is 20 or so miles away for basics and then wichita falls is 50 miles for everything else.

don't know anything about the sale barns, people, feed stores, fertilizer dealers and etc.
any info would be appreciated

melking":1f47f6fb said:
Some of them okies are prone to proudness.

with my job i have traveled many miles over the years and dealt with lots and i mean lots of people and most people in the southern states are good honest people and easy to deal with.
i travel mostly sw oklahoma and north texas now and i honestly beleive they are a good a people as i've ever met.

cross_7":2n7r3tq5 said:
melking":2n7r3tq5 said:
Some of them okies are prone to proudness.

with my job i have traveled many miles over the years and dealt with lots and i mean lots of people and most people in the southern states are good honest people and easy to deal with.
i travel mostly sw oklahoma and north texas now and i honestly beleive they are a good a people as i've ever met.
Cross,
I was speaking of Buck Owens and his proud to be an okie song....

cross_7":3hdfsp4z said:
anybody here familar with the area that can give me the good, bad & ugly ?

i have looked around the area a little and it seems to be good cow country.
lots of bermuda pastures
sits in the red river vallley or flood plain or whatever you call it.
locals say native pature takes 8-10 for cow and bermuda about half as much, but i don't know about lime or fertilizer requirements.
it's rural but henrietta tx is 20 or so miles away for basics and then wichita falls is 50 miles for everything else.

don't know anything about the sale barns, people, feed stores, fertilizer dealers and etc.
any info would be appreciated

I think any land West of I-35 you would NOT need any lime (alkali). The pH in Western 1/2 of Texas is probably going to be between 7.0 and 8.5. Now East Texas (Piney Woods) might need lime for "some" crops. Do a soil test (or) search for soil types/nutrients on a USDA site.

As a "rule": Higher rainfall in an area = more acid soil; Lower rainfall in an area = more alkaline soil.

Latest posts