Rut still going.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Just before dark tonight I seen a doe in heat. A good size buck was chasing her. He had already lost 1 horn but the other one had 5 points. It would have looked really odd if he had lost both horns and still breeding the doe.
Isn't it late for the rut?

Just before dark tonight I seen a doe in heat. A good size buck was chasing her. He had already lost 1 horn but the other one had 5 points. It would have looked really odd if he had lost both horns and still breeding the doe.
Well if a fawn was born here on Aug 15 it would never survive the winter. That's a pretty late rut for sure. Never seen that.

Wide open in Alabama ! In southern counties it's just starting. Powers to be extended season 10 days in Feb to let hunters there hunt during the peak rut .

There's an idea that a singular rut exists, but in reality it's more spread out than most people give it credit for. Some members of the family cervidae don't even have a seasonal rut, but rather rut all year.

Lot of that has to do with leptospirosis here in the deer herd. Another plus to a healthy hog population.

There's an idea that a singular rut exists, but in reality it's more spread out than most people give it credit for. Some members of the family cervidae don't even have a seasonal rut, but rather rut all year.
Very true , back in the 60's the state conservation folks brought in deer from Michigan and a couple of other places and released them in areas with low or no deer . In my county I know of about 2-3 different rut cycles beginning in December and another mid January. I'm not complaining.

Very true , back in the 60's the state conservation folks brought in deer from Michigan and a couple of other places and released them in areas with low or no deer . In my county I know of about 2-3 different rut cycles beginning in December and another mid January. I'm not complaining.
Oh, me neither. Especially since I'm currently in Bama with a rifle and spare time.

It hard on the bucks. Rut and post rut is a major killer of mature bucks. They get too run down.

It's like using a bull for 3 extremely hard breeding seasons back to back. He will kill himself.

That's part of the reason for keeping lower buck to doe ratios.

Seasonal cyclical breeding in WTD may last as long as 6 months, until does become pregnant.
Also, consider that if you had 100 open does, not all will breed on a first 'exposure' (typically, in nature, only about 65% will 'stick' on first service)... so, about 35 are gonna be back in heat in 21 days... 35% of that 35 (~12) won't conceive to that service, so 20 days later, 12 are gonna be back in heat, rinse, repeat - 'til all, or most, get bred.
(From a cattle production standpoint, this is where some have opined that if you are achieving a 100% calf crop... you're spending too much money on feed.) And this doesn't even count the number that may spontaneously abort or abort due to pathogens, etc., and come back into heat.
IDK without doing some reading, when testosterone levels in bucks decline to the point that they're no longer fertile for that breeding season.

Add to that, as coachg says, northern WTD were brought in to some areas to re-stock... though I would expect that after 60 years, they'd have synched to the local conditions. But, I could be wrong.

I remember, as a kid of 3 or 4, in the very early 1960s, watching deer and turkeys be released into the woods around my Lee Co., AL home, as AL Fish & Game worked with the Lee Co. Rod and Gun Club to reintroduce those species and develop huntable populations. I'd say that they were successful in that endeavor.

Thought I saw a mature buck last week behind my house . Got out the binoculars to give him a closer look . Tall and wide but he was completely broke off on his right beam . Closer look he looked like he was past going . I'm sure partially from breeding and somebody had whip his butt . Probably would have let him walk anyway but he turned and walked into the woods before he got into comfortable range for me .

Latest posts