Rusted pipe hinges

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
I have a set of pens that have hinges that were one larger pipe over another pipe. It hadn't been used in awhile and have rusted together prior owner broke off a few of the welds to gates.

I put master blaster in the ones that moved and the rusted moving ones work great now

How to "unstick" the rusted shut? Suggestions

Heat with torch and use WD20 and a rubber mallet

Use freon or liquid nitrogen and freeze it?

Haven't tried either first I thought I would catch on fire second that I would crack any ideas or should I pick one and go for it?

Thanks!!!!

PB Blaster and time, then try to move them. May take several applications to break them lose. I broke lose some bolts on the Model A that had fused together with the stuff. I did have to rap on it with a hammer to get them totally free.

How thick is the outer pipe?

For thicker pipe, you might get them to move just by hitting them with a 16oz hammer for a couple minutes all the way around, probably don't need to put a lot of arm into it, just sharp raps will do

if they're thin (like muffler pipe) I'd heat them with a torch (oxy acetylene), until they're darned hot, if needed tap them with a hammer, but the heat alone will probably let them move without having to reef on the gate...

when you're done, get some grease on them so you don't have to go through this again, or just use the gates more!

Great I put the blaster down between the ones that were looser. I will try again in a few days they have been this way for 6+ years I bought the place a year ago.

It is very thick used oil pipe. Fingers crossed a tincture of time will help

if it's thick oil well pipe, take a 4 lb hammer to it and bash it good, just shy of denting it.. it'll come loose, especially if you can get someone to try and move it while you hit it

D2Cat":uham5ksl said:
Mix a potion of transmission fluid and acetone in a 50/50 mix. I put it in a syringe so I can control exactly where it goes. Works excellent.

+1000

I use that stuff and it so good the nuts you spray it on will back themselves off the bolt.

D2Cat":i73q9mbk said:
Mix a potion of transmission fluid and acetone in a 50/50 mix. I put it in a syringe so I can control exactly where it goes. Works excellent.

This is magic juice on rusted parts!!
I live on the Oregon coast, I know about RUST! :yuck:

Thanks Home Depot apparently carries acetone played with that a ton in my old Chemistry days without gloves! Looking forward to trying again this weekend fingers crossed since I don't know how I would get new ones on at this point

I had the exact same problem and did just as Dunn said ( probably asked here and got the answer from him)
I sprayed it every day with PB Blaster and wiggled it some every time
It would loosen a little more every time. After about a week it broke free

Latest posts