rusted 3/4" tie rod nut won't budge, Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe

Reaction score
I dismantled my haywagon Saturday and found the tie rod nuts had loosened up years ago. I need to turn these 3/4" fine thread nuts about a full turn. I have tried soaking them with Blaster, Kroil you name it. I soaked the whole tie rod end for a day in a can full but no good. I had the big pipe on the wrench going back and forth, tapped the nut with a hammer and nothing. I have not yet tried heating the nut with a torch. I have never used a torch to loosen a rusted nut before, any advice on how this is done? I am looking for any tips on breaking these nuts loose. Thanks for any help. Joe

Just keep the heat on the nut as much as possible. You'll burn off the oil you have applied and that's okay. When the nut gets red move to another shoulder 2 flats away. Once that is red, start backing it off with a wrench. With a nut that big, you should not have any problems.

If wd-40 wont do it after spraying it real good then I guess the only way to do it is the torch method.

heat it red hot and then stick a candle against it. the wax will run into the threads like solder would and even if you let it cool it should come loose due to the added lube of the wax in the threads

The main thing about heating is keep the heat on the nut only, you'll get some heat on the threads but try to keep it on the nut.What it does is expands the nut so you don't want to expand the bolt also.

A mix of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone should do the trick. Reapply several times. Do this in a shaded area so the acetone does not evaporate to fast as to let it soak in better. Best rusty nut treatment I have ever found. I used this on a metal lathe than sat out in the weather for over a year to free everything up.
If this will not loosen it then the heat will.
dieselbeef; First time I have heard of using the wax, Thanks.

novatech":34h1286v said:
A mix of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone should do the trick. Reapply several times. Do this in a shaded area so the acetone does not evaporate to fast as to let it soak in better. Best rusty nut treatment I have ever found. I used this on a metal lathe than sat out in the weather for over a year to free everything up.
If this will not loosen it then the heat will.
dieselbeef; First time I have heard of using the wax, Thanks.

I don't know if you posted this mix a year or so ago or not but I tried it and it works wonders. Makes WD40 look bad.

Finally got my nuts off! After heating the nuts 3 different times they gave up. I was just about to throw in the towel when the last one finally moved, 1 hour later it was off. I kept flooding it with Kroil and Blaster, back and forth a little at a time. The 4' pipe and 18" adjustable is definitely a good workout. Thanks for all the advice. I am going to mix up some of the trans. fluid and acetone and try it on the next problem child. Also, I did not notice the candle helping out on my particular problem. These were 3/4" fine thread nuts that were rusted in place for many years. Thanks again. Joe

dieselbeef":1ozj81w3 said:
heat it red hot and then stick a candle against it. the wax will run into the threads like solder would and even if you let it cool it should come loose due to the added lube of the wax in the threads

so ive been told. havent had to try it yet tho...thanks for givin it a shot..now i know it dont werk i wont bother....kinda was hopin it would since i suggested it to ya....sorry bout that

Dieselbeef; These nuts were so rusted on I don't know if anything could have gotten in. The candle trick may well work for another problem. I appreciate you sharing it with us, you never know what will work until you try it! Joe

Heating just the nut expands it and breaks the rust seal.
Heat the thread above and below the nut too because the oxy liquifies the rust ,you will see it run off as bright balls. let it all cool again for 10 mins then heat just the nut and spanner it while red hot a little bit at a time one way then back again.

All the tips sound good. Probably bugger the tie rod end anyhow

tytower":2woyt3g0 said:
All the tips sound good. Probably bugger the tie rod end anyhow

You can always run a thread chaser over the threads. The danger is hardening and potentially shearing the bolt. Sacrafice the nut but save the bolt.

Latest posts