Ruptured Belly

Help Support CattleToday:

pawpaw

Reaction score
I have a cow that looks exactly like the hydrops picture in the cattle problems thread. She had her calf this morning or last night. She does not appear to have any trouble getting around and has good milk with no blood. The calf seems to be in great shape. I realize this is not good but what is the likely hood she will die before she gets the calf raised? Any input or advice is appreciated.

Can you put up a picture of her so we can see? Many cows develop edema right before and after calving, and in severe cases it can look the same.

I work all night tonight but I will take a picture of her tomorrow and post it if I can figure out how. Thanks.

I probably first noticed the issue 4 to 6 weeks prior to her calving.

I think you can do a lot better with the photo, some side view would be good and a verbal description where you think the problem is so we can zero in on the area. Even a video would be good.

Ken

The problem is on her left side in the picture just in front of her rear left leg. I am working on uploading a couple more pictures but the one posted is the most telling of the ones I have. The calf was nursing when I was trying to take the pics and I didn't want to disturb them too much. I wanted him to have all the milk in him he could get considering we have zero degree windchill today.

I can't view your new photos you posted but I have looked up my Obstetrics textbook and they say a unilateral ventral hernia is usually caused by trauma and most commonly on the right side of abdominal floor, characterised by a unilateral ventral sagging of the abdominal floor 6-8 inches below the normal side. Following calving the abdominal floor may retract in some cattle and abdominal contour become nearly normal however usually recurs during late gestation.

Having calved it sounds like the prognosis for the cow rearing the calf is OK but don't put her with the bull and unload her once the calf is weaned or if things take a turn for the worse.

Ken

Ken - Thank you. I hope she gets the calf raised. I am sorry about the pics. I am sure I loaded them wrong or something. I can view them on 3 different devices.

Dun - No I have not checked for a 2nd calf but wouldn't that have made her sick by day 3?

Could feeding her grain be harmful?

Thanks.

pawpaw":1izmb7q1 said:
Ken - Thank you. I hope she gets the calf raised. I am sorry about the pics. I am sure I loaded them wrong or something. I can view them on 3 different devices.

Dun - No I have not checked for a 2nd calf but wouldn't that have made her sick by day 3?

Thanks.
By now it probably would and me stinking too

pawpaw":2gmnb1vy said:

Thanks.
Were you graining her before she Calved?? Acidosis....

By poke do you mean massage? What am I trying to accomplish while poking it?

Thanks.

I would give 5 head about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of gluten every 2 or 3 days.

pawpaw":1pljg5vq said:
By poke do you mean massage? What am I trying to accomplish while poking it?

Thanks.

No, just using my fingers as well as my eyes when looking at a problem, feeling the consistency of what is under the skin, can you move it or even feel a hole in abdominal wall. A hernia will tend to be soft and fluctuating while oedema will tend to pit when you push into it and leave a temporary impression.

Ken